Witnessed: Very near miss: Silly cyclist at fault?

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
On my return journey this evening there was another cyclist in front of me whom either didn't notice or decided to go up the inside of a car indicating left just before the junction!!! (He was flying up the inside of slow moving traffic).

I saw it all unfold and it was very close let me tell you - the driver ended up slamming on and the cyclist continued at only a slightly slower speed round the car (that was now stopped halfway through their turn) [narrowly missing its bonnet] and continued on... Nutter!

I then stopped for the car 'obviously' but it took the driver a little while before he started going again - a bit shaken maybe?
I then tried to catch the cyclist but they'd long gone!

Some cyclists give everyone a bad name! :sad:
 

Bayerd

Über Member
DaleB said:
On my return journey this evening there was another cyclist in front of me whom either didn't notice or decided to go up the inside of a car indicating left just before the junction!!! (He was flying up the inside of slow moving traffic).

I saw it all unfold and it was very close let me tell you - the driver ended up slamming on and the cyclist continued at only a slightly slower speed round the car (that was now stopped halfway through their turn) [narrowly missing its bonnet] and continued on... Nutter!

I then stopped for the car 'obviously' but it took the driver a little while before he started going again - a bit shaken maybe?
I then tried to catch the cyclist but they'd long gone!

Some cyclists give everyone a bad name! :sad:
Nope, they give themselves a bad name...
 

Ronaldo

New Member
Hardly percentage play by the cyclist, but this is still the fault of the car driver. He is turning across the cyclist's priority.
 

Jmetz

Well-Known Member
Good job it was clearly a good driver who checked their mirrors prior to turning. Got to love the bias of defending the cyclist here though.
Its a two way thing, both users are in an area of society which is with out a doubt the most dangerous, so it is up to both parties to do their best to ensure their own and others' safety. Clearly in this situation only one party did that.
 

GrasB

Veteran
Location
Nr Cambridge
Really need to see a vid on this one to truly see what happened. As described I'd say the cyclist was mainly at fault & lucky to get a driver who was showing reasonable situational awareness.
 

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Location
Ashford, Kent
Ronaldo said:
Hardly percentage play by the cyclist, but this is still the fault of the car driver. He is turning across the cyclist's priority.
Either:

you can "only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163)

Or if in doubt:

HighWay Code]On all roads said:
Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.
Either is arguable applicable, either way the cyclist was totally at fault, if it was the other way round, ie a cyclist indicating a the car drove on, everyone would be slamming the driver.

Not saying you are, but i think all to often drivers bare the brunt of cyclists aggression. Even when the cyclist is at fault.

Surly in theory we should cycle on the outside not inside of cars when a cycle lane is not present. If there was then i agree the driver was soley at fault, if there wasnt it was the cyclist.

We really need this information to make a 100% decision
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
RyanW said:
Not saying you are, but i think all to often drivers bare the brunt of cyclists aggression. Even when the cyclist is at fault.
Take your point, but equally well, I think there's a greater level of responsibility to look out for others when you're in the heavier, faster vehicle.

In our discussions about pedestrian behaviour on here, I've said as much regarding our responsibility as cyclists - if you know there are spots where they're not paying attention, nipping between traffic, or wandering on and off a cyclepath, slow the f* down and cover your brakes.

Similarly, if I'm driving, I try to be aware in particular of pedestrians and cyclists, who may do daft things that need to be compensated for/avoided.
 

dondare

Über Member
Location
London
Filtering is not overtaking on the left or undertaking.
Motorists should check for cyclists coming up inside before starting their turn.

Having said that, cyclists coming up the inside are a bugger to see even when you're looking for them and passing inside a vehicle that is indicating left is bloody stupid. Filtering without checking for indicators is also bloody stupid.
 

Ronaldo

New Member
Also from rule 163

..."stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"
 

martint235

Dog on a bike
Location
Welling
dondare said:
Filtering is not overtaking on the left or undertaking.
Motorists should check for cyclists coming up inside before starting their turn.

Having said that, cyclists coming up the inside are a bugger to see even when you're looking for them and passing inside a vehicle that is indicating left is bloody stupid. Filtering without checking for indicators is also bloody stupid.
I agree. Motorists are responsible for checking their surroundings for pedestrians and cyclists before making a manouvre. However having said that if a vehicle is in front of you (and quite a way in front by the sounds of the OP) and indicating it would at the very least be common sense to let them get on with it. Add on a bit of courtesy and respect and the driver will go happily on his way rather than leaving as he appears to have done in a state of shock probably cursing cyclists.
 
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Active Member
Location
Manchester
John the Monkey said:
Good work by the driver there, I reckon, it's rare for them to use their mirrors before turning, ime!
Yes, this driver seems ok... he thanked me for stopping still after he'd stopped!

Sadly i don't have a helmet cam, it would have shown this more clearly - it was definitely a 'hold breath moment' for me though, it was that close!
 

Alien8

Guru
dondare said:
Motorists should check for cyclists coming up inside before starting their turn.
Just motorists?

Going home last night I was turning left at what is effectively a crossroads when another cyclist shot-through in the two-foot gap to my left to go straight-across. Somehow we avoided colliding but I was so surprised I even forgot to hurl abuse at him.

dondare said:
Filtering without checking for indicators is also bloody stupid.
Lack of indicators means nothing - many people are too stupid to use them.
 

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
RyanW said:
Surly in theory we should cycle on the outside not inside of cars when a cycle lane is not present.
Or often, even if it is.

This is the cyclists fault, Firstly filtering at high speed is done so at your own risk (its our choice and we must accept the responisibility of that choice), ignoring a clearly signalling vehicle (clear enough for the OP to see) be it a car, bus, bike, cycle is reckless and puts others in danger...the offender can look out for themselves.

This does give a bad impression of all cyclists...good job you were there to equalise drivers perception.
 
Top Bottom