Wolf Hall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It was awesome. Right up there with the very best. Rylance was mesmerising, from start to finish, all the other acting was of the highest order, and the script, cinematography and direction were all flawless. It was a 'perfect storm' of a production; sublime on every front. The Yanks have been outclassing us in tv drama for years, from The Wire to Breaking Bad, but no-one could do something like Wolf Hall but the BBC. And it was, simply, the best.

U

User482

I did stick with it to the bitter end, although I'll admit to dozing off at least a couple of times each week. It was such a beautiful production it was hypnotic, but I agree with those who say Mark Rylance made Cromwell a bit too sympathetic.
Oh, I don't know. I thought it was refreshing to challenge the consensus of historical opinion, and I loved the final scene where Cromwell and Henry embrace - the look on Cromwell's face suggested the realisation that he had sold his soul to the devil.

I would've enjoyed the series just for the quality of the acting, but everything else about it was top drawer, too.

U

User482

Yes I do accept all that. What I meant was that, because I didn't have much knowledge of or interest in the period, Cromwell as the powerful political player in the court that he seems to have been didn't really come across to me. Crafty, a bit of a toady, yes, so that last shot was eloquent as you say. Rylance was so (over?)controlled that when he did let his menace show a bit (threatening the poor lute player, was it?) it was startling. I think a person needs the background knowledge to appreciate the challenge to consensus bit.

I liked to think of it as a study of the corruption of power - as he rose in prominence his craft and guile were replaced with menace and betrayal, which only came to the fore in the final episode, particularly in the scenes in the Tower where he manufactures his evidence.

Assuming Mantel completes her trilogy, we'll have a truly Shakespearean tragedy.

Davos87

Guru
It was superb TV, the final episode a fitting end to a great series.
I also thought the musical score to be brilliantly done too - that twanging lute?? Or whatever it was really played with your mind and added to the drama.

Lisat

First series I have enjoyed all the way through in ages. Acting was superb. I read the books and the adaptation did not disappoint.

Top Bottom