Wolf Hall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I enjoyed it and i get the lighting etc but i would not have complained if they had of used 21century lighting.

Mark Rylance is excellent. I dont recognise his face but is voice is very recognisable, im just not sure where from though.

The rest of the cast are stella too.

Ganymede

Veteran
Yellow and fizzy?:smile:

I only read one of HM's books - the one about a medium and some weird, malevolent spirit. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

Maybe I should try her again.
Most of her earlier books are really different from each other. Her early book set in Saudi Arabia, "Eight Months On Ghazza Street" is extremely readable and genuinely unique, as although it is conventionally written it is an extremely unusual subject. I found her huge tome on the French Revolution "A Place Of Greater Safety" a real struggle. It has lingered in the memory though. Haven't read the medium one ("Beyond Black"?) and didn't fancy it.
My only gripe about the book is the use of the historic present........I know all the arguments for its use but somehow it still grates when I read it or hear it spoken. It seems to offend my 1960-70's grammar school grammar, if you see what I mean.
I hate the historic present in history documentaries, to the point that I've almost given up watching them (*genuine sobs*) but in fiction I find it can work really well. The characters are in the moment and it can suck you in. I found with "Wolf Hall" the book that I almost believed I could touch the things being described. It was one of those books where, as I got near the end, I started to think "oh no, I soon will have no more of this to read...." .

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm waiting for someone to dramatise the Shardlake series. Absolutely fabulous books - I love CJ Sansom's writing.
There's been at least one on the radio.

I've read one of them and although it was enjoyable and characterful and I didn't guess the twist (always good), I couldn't get past how "modern" it was. The language and the mores and some really glaring anachronisms, which I admit I might be being a bit nerdy about. TBF I have studied that period a lot, especially the language.

AndyRM

XOXO
Beautifully filmed and well acted. I like that the action was implied; clever and effective.

Knowing nothing about the books I remarked to SophRM that I considered 'Your man Tommy C is an OG', which was met with a smile and 'You'd like him even more in the book' as a response.

Looking forward to the next installment.

....read 'Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and the mini series as well. Reading the follow up 'World Without End' right now - also very good. No doubt I will give Wolf Hall a go, but will wait till all the kerfuffle dies down first - hate it when something gets hyped to the hilt............

bianchi1

Guru
I'm guessing by the thread death people stopped watching or didn't enjoy/hate it enough to comment.

I've just watched the last one and think it deserves a mention. The acting was some of the best I've ever seen in a tv drama, and unlike some I think the lighting added to the atmosphere and mood.

Well done the BBC

Top Bottom