Wolf Hall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
This post may contain spoilers...

I watched this having read the first book and enjoyed it. Fantastic locations and Mark Rylance was great.

The tears were tripping me when his wife and daughters died in the novel which is always quite a feat for awriter to pull off and given the time constraints of the tv script iwondered whether they could make the scene quite so affecting. I still found alump in my throat but maybe I'd been primed by the novel. Did those coming to the story for the first time get affected by this scene?

HorTs

Über Member
A thinking person's 'The Tudors'.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't read the book and I'm slightly struggling, whilst vaguely recognising some of the names. I'm hoping it will become clearer in the next episode. And I did find the death of his wife and children sad, especially as they seemed easy characters to relate to at this stage. Would a family of died so quickly at the same time as each other with what seemed like very little warning of their illness? Or did they shorten that part for TV?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I haven't read the book and I'm slightly struggling, whilst vaguely recognising some of the names. I'm hoping it will become clearer in the next episode. And I did find the death of his wife and children sad, especially as they seemed easy characters to relate to at this stage. Would a family of died so quickly at the same time as each other with what seemed like very little warning of their illness? Or did they shorten that part for TV?

Apparently so.. 'English Sweating Sickness'

Lisat

Really enjoyed it, Mark Rylance is great and fascinating to watch. That's Wednesday nights sorted for the next 5 weeks.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I felt exactly the same TMN. I'm consoled that I'm not alone!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But...it's not about kings 'n queens; it's about POWER! And power is endlessly fascinating. It's not by chance that that annoying little grammar school tick Starkey is such a regular on politics slots. Tudor history, 21st century politics, it's all the same old same old: power, and the people who wield it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thought it was ok, but as has been said, if you hadn't read the books you'd struggle to work out who was who and what was going on.

I've never read a Hilary Mantel book but as a moderately intelligent bloke with a grasp of basic English history I am quite happily aware of who the protagonists are and the events unfurling.

Generally: a tad slow moving but absorbing and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3491575, member: 45"]It was pretty moving, only spoiled by the hand of one of the dead daughters also moving.[/QUOTE]

Noticed that too... and it wasn't just a small movement either.

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3491575, member: 45"]It was pretty moving, only spoiled by the hand of one of the dead daughters also moving.[/QUOTE]
I thought that she was actually dying in that moment? Which is why he spoke to her in reassurance?

I took a while to get into it but I think it's going to be a slow burn. I have read and loved the books and they are not the easiest either - you are searching your way through them and it's almost like you've had to navigate through the complex obscurities of power and character and motive yourself. I think if you let yourself be immersed in the books it becomes a very in-depth and stimulating experience and I hope this rather slow start to the tv show will prove the same.

I actually (MASSIVE CLANG) know Mark Rylance a bit and I have a few issues with his manner sometimes but I think although he seems a little slightly-built for Cromwell his intelligence and guardedness works well. I also like the lighting. Imagine having your life and reputation at stake while trying to read expressions by candlelight from the end of a long table... it felt threatening and real and put you right back before we had the luxury of electric light.

Top Bottom