Woman Who Stops Traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

mickle said:
The solution as suggested earlier is to communicate with the kids, the first programme demonstrated this and our (CoC) experience of promoting cycling bears it out. Kids don't give a crap about rain, they'll ride around on KMXs in the pouring rain for hours whilst their parents all huddle shivering under the marquee.

I found both programmes depressing and inspiring in equal measure, the woman is attempting to do for transport what Saint Jamie did for school dinners, fantastic TV.

Yeah, he's wonderful and all that, but just think how great he would be if he was a martyr...

snorri

Legendary Member
Aint Skeered said:

They say about Boston "a great past, an exciting future" perhaps they should have added "but very grim at present":sad:;)

simonali

Guru
simon l& and a half said:
VED should be increased ten times.

Let me guess, you don't own a car?

S'alright for you in St Reatham, where you have a good public transport network and rail links to any other town (that still has a train station) in the country, but we don't all live in places like London. (Thank f***)

I'm neither a cycle hating motorist nor a motor hating cyclist because I partake in and am the owner of both forms of transport. This whiney put fuel prices up/tax pushbikes argument (delete as applicable) is as old as the hills and bores me shitless frankly. The fact is that, "subsidised" or not, motoring costs more in the UK than nearly everywhere else in the world and is an absolute necessity for many people, due to the rurality (is that a real word?) of many of our abodes.

This isn't Australia, where most of the country is empty and we all live in big metropolis' by the sea!

My last words on the subject! ;)

simonali said:
This isn't Australia, where most of the country is empty and we all live in big metropolis' by the sea! My last words on the subject! ;)

What about a 'Park and ride/walk' scheme?
Keep the (superfluous) traffic away from town/city centres and try and create a clean, safe, friendly and healthy environment.
Who loses out?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I think she's doing a good thing, even if she is an annopying twonk with few personnel skills ;)
All she's trying to do is encourage people not to take unnecessary journeys in the car. I know someone who regulrly drives 500yds to the shop, then 500yds home again. ;)

Fnaar said:
I think she's doing a good thing, even if she is an annopying twonk with few personnel skills :angry:
All she's trying to do is encourage people not to take unnecessary journeys in the car. I know someone who regulrly drives 500yds to the shop, then 500yds home again. ;)
In my previous job we carried out a travel survey at a business park, we were called in beacuase there was a regular 40min queue just to exit, sometimes it could be worse:ohmy:. One of the results was from somebody who just lived round the corner. Its a hard choice sit in a traffic jam for atleast 40 minutes or a 5-10 minute walk home ;).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
HLaB said:
In my previous job we carried out a travel survey at a business park, we were called in beacuase there was a regular 40min queue just to exit, sometimes it could be worse:ohmy:. One of the results was from somebody who just lived round the corner. Its a hard choice sit in a traffic jam for atleast 40 minutes or a 5-10 minute walk home ;).

That is both unbelieveable but equally I know it is true. Those are the people who ... well I don't know what we should do with them... prevent them from using the car 2 days a week? They would probably just get a mate to pick them up instead.

Jaded

simonali said:
The fact is that, "subsidised" or not, motoring costs more in the UK than nearly everywhere else in the world and is an absolute necessity for many people, due to the rurality (is that a real word?) of many of our abodes.

Extrapolating National Transport Strategy from the "necessities" of a few in rural areas is hardly a sensible way of going about things.

Quite often people have chosen their rural location because of the car, so to then use the rurality as a reason for having a car is somewhat disingenuous.

snorri

Legendary Member
simonali said:
My last words on the subject! ;)

You post an ill informed and provocative rant but do not wish to respond to others who may wish to discuss the errors in your logic. Why?

OldCobblers

Dayvo said:
What about a 'Park and ride/walk' scheme?
Sounds similar to my own private little "Park & Pedal". My work is 25 miles away and no viable public transport. I'm not up to a 50 mile a day cycle commute - it would take too long anyway. So I drive 15miles and cycle 10 which is just about right.

My next door neighbour drives less that 1/2 a mile to work:ohmy: Monday morning it must have taken him longer to clear the snow off his car windows than it did to actually drive the distance. Local primary school is about 1/2 mile away and at least half the kids get driven there. Go anywhere near the school in the morning or afternoon and its utter chaos. Comment from one of my other neighbours is they drive the kids to school as its too dangerous for them to walk as there's too much traffic. They just don't realise that they're part of the problem:angry::angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
simonali said:
Let me guess, you don't own a car?

S'alright for you in St Reatham, where you have a good public transport network and rail links to any other town (that still has a train station) in the country, but we don't all live in places like London. (Thank f***)

I'm neither a cycle hating motorist nor a motor hating cyclist because I partake in and am the owner of both forms of transport. This whiney put fuel prices up/tax pushbikes argument (delete as applicable) is as old as the hills and bores me shitless frankly. The fact is that, "subsidised" or not, motoring costs more in the UK than nearly everywhere else in the world and is an absolute necessity for many people, due to the rurality (is that a real word?) of many of our abodes.

This isn't Australia, where most of the country is empty and we all live in big metropolis' by the sea!

My last words on the subject! :biggrin:

What has Australia got to do with it? Have you ever tried visiting a few countries in Western Europe where they do have proper transport infrastructure? Rural area aren't just found in Little Engurlund...

Top Bottom