Woman Who Stops Traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Those figures look a little skewed to me. The near £100bn they've calculated includes strange stuff such as 1. accidents 2. police 3. car parking 4. company car subsidies and claim there are shortfalls in the figures for them?

1. Insurance? (also taxed) NI? Insurance companies wouldn't be insuring people to drive cars if they were losing money on every one of them, surely?

2. A large amount of our council tax goes to the police. I'd imagine a portion of it goes to road maintenance, too?

3. With 30m cars in the UK, do they think they should all be parked on the road causing more congestion? And how is a parked car costing anyone anything? :biggrin: They've just said "right, a car takes up this much space, land costs this much, so every car parking space cost £n"! Ever heard of a multi-story, you green fools?!

4. These figures were produced from 1993 information and I believe company car taxing has been given a major overhaul at least once since then, no doubt in the favour of the government. I know at the very least that the van/twin cab pick-up loophole has been closed and that they move the goalposts with the CO² brackets nearly every budget.

On top of that, fuel prices have hit all-time highs since that time, meaning the govt. are raking in a lot more fuel duty since 1993!! Also insurance companies are moving call centres to India, saving lots on their wage bills. Speed cameras have been introduced, providing extra revenue for the police. :eek:

Subsidised, my arse! Just nonsense green propaganda.

I've never had a job that I could get to by public transport and have always cycled or driven as a result. It would also take hours and hours and cost a fortune just to go and visit relatives. This would probably only be possible on week days between 8am and 5pm, too!

There was a time when I went everywhere by bike and saw no need for a car, but since coming to live in a more rural area I've come to realise that that is a rather delusional outlook. There's no way I'd give up my car now, unless I had to and I expect every other car owner would say the same.

Jaded

simonali said:
Ever heard of a multi-story, you green fools?!

I take it that you can grow multi-storey car parks and maintain them with a wind turbine and light them with solar panels?

Fiona N

Veteran
I can't help thinking that parking cars must cost someone. One place I worked used to charge (fairly steeply) for a parking permit for its carparks. It was in the middle of nowhere - literally in the middle of a forest - so it wasn't like there was anywhere else to park and the forest workers got very shirty about parking in the woods; there were several 'incidents' where a driver got back to a car parked illegitimately to find a gash along the side - well, they are pretty large those logging trucks :wacko:
The company had arranged good public transport with buses to the local station and there was a bike path (off road) along the main access road as well as loads of routes in the forest - no excuse really for using the car. So it was rather nice to save a load of dosh just by doing what I always did.

Marlow is a funny place - my brother lives not too far away and we occasionally pop into 'town' when I visit. Frankly, not the sort of place where I'd feel comfortable in sweaty/muddy mtb clothes looking for a cafe.

domd1979

Veteran
simonali said:
2. A large amount of our council tax goes to the police. I'd imagine a portion of it goes to road maintenance, too?

Road maintenance is not funded from council tax.

3. With 30m cars in the UK, do they think they should all be parked on the road causing more congestion? And how is a parked car costing anyone anything? :blush: They've just said "right, a car takes up this much space, land costs this much, so every car parking space cost £n"! Ever heard of a multi-story, you green fools?!

Car parking is expensive to provide. It is also being provided at the expense of using the land for something else - in town centres the alternative use would most probably be commercial and therefore worth a lot of money.

On top of that, fuel prices have hit all-time highs since that time, meaning the govt. are raking in a lot more fuel duty since 1993!! Also insurance companies are moving call centres to India, saving lots on their wage bills. Speed cameras have been introduced, providing extra revenue for the police. :biggrin:

Even with fuel price rises, private motoring is still cheap. In real terms, public transport fares have risen by around 80% in the space of around 30 years. Over that same time the cost of motoring has remained virtually static in real terms. It isn't motorists who are being hard done by is it?

Subsidised, my arse! Just nonsense green propaganda.

The cost of any motorised journey to the driver is way below the cost that journey imposes. You won't find any credible evidence to the contrary. One cost you haven't mentioned is the massive cost to the NHS (and society) of treating road accident victims, and respiratory illness which is largely due to pollution from road transport. On top of that reliance on the car is also contributing to obesity.

Parked cars make our streets untidy. Take a look at photographs of streets one hundred, or even fifty years ago. There's space for kids to play football, and for people to stop and converse.

VED should be increased ten times.

OldCobblers

domd1979 said:
Road maintenance is not funded from council tax.

Of course it is. Local Authorities have responsibility for Highway Maintenance for all the roads in their area with the exception of Trunk Routes and Motorways (responsibility of the Highways Agency, funded out of general taxation). Local Authorities are funded, in part, by Council Tax. Checking my last council tax account I see that 3% of my LA's income was budgeted for highway maintenance. Last year it was 5%. So, every householder, whether they drive a car or not, pays towards the upkeep of the roads.

domd1979

Veteran
Highway maintenance is paid for via grant from central government, so your council tax doesn't pay for it.

OldCobblers said:
Of course it is. Local Authorities have responsibility for Highway Maintenance for all the roads in their area with the exception of Trunk Routes and Motorways (responsibility of the Highways Agency, funded out of general taxation). Local Authorities are funded, in part, by Council Tax. Checking my last council tax account I see that 3% of my LA's income was budgeted for highway maintenance. Last year it was 5%. So, every householder, whether they drive a car or not, pays towards the upkeep of the roads.

OldCobblers

domd1979 said:
Highway maintenance is paid for via grant from central government, so your council tax doesn't pay for it.

I repeat: yes it does. I have it in black and white on my council tax bill - and so have you, if you are a householder.

If I remember correctly council tax accounts for about 25% of a council's income, the rest is a Grant, funded by general taxation. So, you're 75% right :biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Part 2 Tues 9pm C4

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Having visited Boston for work on several occasions, I'm really not surprised at the outcome. It's a long way from civilisation and I think it shows. Any town that votes a council based on getting a bypass builtwhich might happen in 13 years time shows the level of local thinking.
Having said that, at least the peoplefrom the Estate had a go and proved to themselves what the benefits could be, but I'm certain they'll all be back in their cars the next day.

That the Hospital staff couldn't care less was also fairly worrying.

It's quite depressing really, althougha shocking indictment of Boston, there are many other places that are probably just as short-sighted...
What to do?

The solution as suggested earlier is to communicate with the kids, the first programme demonstrated this and our (CoC) experience of promoting cycling bears it out. Kids don't give a crap about rain, they'll ride around on KMXs in the pouring rain for hours whilst their parents all huddle shivering under the marquee.

I found both programmes depressing and inspiring in equal measure, the woman is attempting to do for transport what Saint Jamie did for school dinners, fantastic TV.

Top Bottom