Women in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why is womens cycling/women in cycling not given the same type of coverage as cycling in general.
Walk into most cycle stores and a step-through frame, unless electric assist is going to be hard to spot. Are women not supposed to ride a bike these days!
It could help on cutting down on the school run, by car and maybe even getting a few more interested long term in cycling, from an early age.
On TV, very little coverage of
many events with only highlights shown.

MikeG

Guru
Why would a step-through frame be associated with women?

Why would a step-through frame be associated with women?
so you can a wear this dress, and still cycle to the pub. OK, I was using a folder, so it's only accidentally step through, but still.
d_5567.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Because all men are b*star*s?

Take a look at Cycling Plus which claims to be Britain's biggest selling cycling publication, if they can't be arsed to recognise that women may ride a sporty bike that didn't cost £50 from Tesco , what hope is there for the 'mainstream' media? In last month's there was one picture of Laura Trott (I think) in a short article on some aspect of pro cycling where they talked about male pro cyclists...otherwise nothing!

The recent women's ToB got some airtime, but I bet there would have been even less (if any) if it had been in another country

Cycling Active is better, and probably reflects the ratio men:women who ride bikes. I quite like the Women's Cycling mag, perhaps a bit patronising, but it speaks to its intended audience and purpose which is to get more women cycling IMO

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
My point being that judging how well women are catered for in cycle shops by looking at the number of step-through bikes on sale is not very instructive. The only step-through bikes I see being ridden are being used by old people, who make up a very small percentage of the cycling public. Most women I know would sneer at the idea of riding a step-through.

I take your general point about the way female cyclists are treated as a bit of an afterthought in some places............but I would say that I think enormous strides are being made.

MikeG

Guru
Because all men are b*star*s?......

No, Vickster, we aren't.

Diggs

Veteran
To head back on track, It's been growing slowly and heading in the right direction, The Women's Tour was a great success, same prize money as the men and an hour of highlights each evening (more than I got for Rugby Union on the tv when I was growing up). There's Breeze on Sky Ride. London Bike Kitchen hold women specific events. Unfortunately there is still everyday sexism there but I think we can be optimistic.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe the shops do not want to take up expensive floor space with something they may only sell a few of, I am sure that if the enquiries came in then stocking levels would rise.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Womens cycling is like any other sport. Its all about money or the lack thereof. Its the same in football, rugby, tennis, in fact all sports. For some reason womems sporting events aren't seen as important, as good, or as valid as mens events.

Until women are on a par with men, then they won't be taken seriously, and they will still, be steered towards step thoughs and hybrids

Top Bottom