Women Specific: What Sports Bra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK the title says most but not quite all of it...

To the women (and only women please!) what sports bra? Reason is that my old ones are giving up (again) and I need to replace them. The problem is that because of a pituitary adenoma which affects my prolactin levels, I've gone from being a sensible size to 36DD-36E/34E-34F in a matter of a few years, so need the support and whilst I won't be running I would prefer that a) there is support b) it is comfortable and does not feel like scaffolding and c) now I'm on a road bike, the bra does not simply add to the clevage situation :eek:.

I've tried the brand Shock Absorber and never really got on with them, and my current brand is Pure Lime, but I seem to be getting to the limits of support there as well. So anyone else got any recommendations?

If you don't want to say sizes/makes models out in the open, please just PM me. I understand.
thanks

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Personally, I've never got on with sports bras, they simply do not support adequately for an active lifestyle.
Most of my bras are M&S full cup underwired. I still get the firm support type, even though in the last year I've lost 2 bra sizes.
If it helps, I'm an average 36D. :hello:

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Another one for pretty and well shaped M&S underwired jobbies. I find sports bras neither supportive nor comfortable really.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Most women have no clue what a bra size means, and they cling to the concept of a 'bra size'... You dont have a bra size. You have a 'Breast volume'.

I'm a guy, but unless you understand and acceot that a 34B is the same volume as a 32C, you probably need to learn a lot.

Start here with regards to Sports Bras. http://www.port.ac.uk/research/breasthealthresearch/brafitting/ - I'm affliated in no way, shape or form, but I've been on a training course with them.

Happy hunting ladies.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Most women have no clue what a bra size means, and they cling to the concept of a 'bra size'... You dont have a bra size. You have a 'Breast volume'.

I'm a guy, but unless you understand and acceot that a 34B is the same volume as a 32C, you probably need to learn a lot.

Start here with regards to Sports Bras. http://www.port.ac.uk/research/breasthealthresearch/brafitting/ - I'm affliated in no way, shape or form, but I've been on a training course with them.

Happy hunting ladies.

that's why I put a range in... roughly speaking that's what I am now (36DD-36E/34E-34F)..
Regretfully it also means different makes and models do/do not work and I don't get on with M&S bra's but am fine with Chantelle (except the price side of things because the adenoma means my size/volume is constantly changing and adrenal gland issues mean I can change from 34 to 36 and back again within a few months... so I end up with a range of bras that fit fine for a few months, then don't and then 6 months down the line, I'm back in them again...) one side of health issues I hate along with shopping...

naminder

I only ever wear Shock Absorbers sports bras and they're superb for control. I don't like the over the heads crop tops, as they're not easy to remove after a work out. The back fastened ones are just as good, and if you get measured and fitted properly, you don't move.

I only buy a level 4 though, because you don't move in them at all.I don't see the point of the lower levels.The straps are wide and don't cut into you.Level 4 only available in D cup or above. M and S range not quite so wide
They wash reasonably well, but need replacing after 6 months or so.

naminder

except the price side of things because the adenoma means my size/volume is constantly changing and adrenal gland issues mean I can change from 34 to 36 and back again within a few months... so I end up with a range of bras that fit fine for a few months, then don't and then 6 months down the line, I'm back in them again..

Maybe try the compression bras, which might give some room for growth?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Maybe I'm unusual but I don't find any need for a sports specific bra for cycling? Running, yes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
not quite so many holes in the roads in Perthshire if you avoid the A9! Know a really nice training route around Loch Rannoch... hoping to get back up there soon.
I tend to go off road more than I really should and bounce is an issue unfortuantly!

Ah, yes. Off road would be different I suppose.

Yes, I am blessed to live in a lovely scenic area. Hope if I can keep the cycling up and stretch the distance a bit I will see more of it :smile:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Ah, yes. Off road would be different I suppose.

Yes, I am blessed to live in a lovely scenic area. Hope if I can keep the cycling up and stretch the distance a bit I will see more of it :smile:

Well there is plenty up there to see and most of it is lovely if you avoid the A9 corridor. My preference is more to Rannoch than Aviemore though, but that's becuase I'm a west coast girl and love the craggy tops rather than the rounder cairngorms. Still the weather is a touch kinder on the east side, just!

naminder

How do you get on with every day bras?
What about one of those skins ? Like a very tight vest, not sure of technical name , i'm afraid. It might hold you in enough

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
How do you get on with every day bras?
What about one of those skins ? Like a very tight vest, not sure of technical name , i'm afraid. It might hold you in enough

Everyday bra's - hummm not worn one since going off to cycle for 12 months and using a sports bra everyday. Still wearing them now. have tried getting some normal bra's but all were returned as either didn't fit, not comfortable... not really managed to find anything that is as comfortable as my sports bra, but the elastic in them is now failing...

Top Bottom