Women's World Cup Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Lizzie Armitstead starts the defence of her title in the best possible way in the Trofeo Alfredo Binda, winning ahead of French sensation, Pauline Ferrand-Prevot and Anna Van Der Bregge.

Can she win the World Cup for a second year in a row?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Today's result puts her at the head of the leaderboard after two races, so that's a pretty good start. Ferrand-Prevot didn't take part in the Ronde Van Drenthe though, and is looking very strong too.

Armitstead says she's been working on her sprinting over the winter and it clearly paid off today, as it did in the Tour of Qatar too. In fact, looking at her results so far this year, even in the races she hasn't won, she's been head of whichever bunch she finished in.

The Couch

Über Member
Great win for Lizzie Armitstead at the Trofeo Alfredo Binda today, beating Ferrand-Prevot, Van Der Breggen, Longho Borgini and Amaliusik in a five-way sprint finish.
That's an impressive front group

By the way, Jolien D'hoore (who was the WC leader before the TAB) ended 4th in Gent-Wevelgem(which she prefered for obvious reasons: better suited to her and in Belgium).
She was looking mighty strong though, but had a bit of a "Cancellara" issue, that nobody really wanted to ride with her. With her improved form she could be an outsider for the RvV (although the biggest names/favourites for the RvV of course were present in Italy).

The race was won by a "Paolini-like" move from by 19-year old (!) Floortje Mackaij escaping in the final kilometers from the front group

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
In all the hype about the men's race, let's not forget the women's Tour of Flanders today - which is also a round of the World Cup. Importantly, it sees the return of Vos, and this is the kind of race she loves, but she may not be on top form yet after being out.

Buddfox

Veteran
Didn't see that she was involved at any stage of the race. A great move by Borghini to win in a solo break

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just noticed that there is a highlights programme of the women's RVV on the BBC red button channel at 18:00, available on iPlayer some time later.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That's an impressive front group

By the way, Jolien D'hoore (who was the WC leader before the TAB) ended 4th in Gent-Wevelgem(which she prefered for obvious reasons: better suited to her and in Belgium).
She was looking mighty strong though, but had a bit of a "Cancellara" issue, that nobody really wanted to ride with her. With her improved form she could be an outsider for the RvV

Second place, leading in the bunch behind Borghini - her teammate, hence I guess she wasn't helping too much in the chase.

Sounds like a good race, shame about the total lack of live TV coverage - the ES commentators were blaming the local TV organisation for that.

Vos wasn't listed as a starter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just noticed that there is a highlights programme of the women's RVV on the BBC red button channel at 18:00, available on iPlayer some time later.
In fact, they showed highlights of the Trofeo Alfredo Binda race won by LA. For some reason, over and over again. I counted at least 3 repeats of the coverage before deleting my recording.

It is available HERE on iPlayer for the next 6 days.

The Couch

Über Member
A great move by Borghini to win in a solo break
(Jolien D'hoore) Second place, leading in the bunch behind Borghini - her teammate, hence I guess she wasn't helping too much in the chase.
Sounds like a good race, shame about the total lack of live TV coverage - the ES commentators were blaming the local TV organisation for that.
The Flemish tv (Sporza) send out a summary of the race directly following the conclusion of the men's race (they have been doing this for 3 years now). Borghini was indeed very impressive, riding away on the Kruisberg (so before the Kwaremont/Paterberg combo) and holding out easily onto the finish-line.
D'hoore - although not being able to hold the wheel of the very best on the Paterberg - has shown again she is a very good rider and has a sprint-finish to be feared.

D'hoore takes the UCI leader jersey back from LA.
Can't see her holding off LA and Broghini after the next race though, with the - for her very unsuitable - Mur de Huy finish.

Just a small comment:
very nice result from Johansson, who - after only 3 weeks after getting a broken collarbone - finished in 13th place

Top Bottom