Wondering whether to make the switch to SPD-SL pedals and road shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was always a Look user (similar to SPD-SL). But my MTB's and commuter bike were SPD due to being more convenient (especially commuter). Single sided road pedals are a little trickier to get into, but I preferred them at the time. I'm mainly MTB but still have the road bikes - one on a turbo, and I do like the loud 'bang' I get clipping in/out. They are more secure if you fancy a sprint.

But I did many many miles commuting on SPD without issue. On a nice road bike SPD's are ugly.

Super flash road bike, has to be super flash road pedals for me. My commuter road bike was SPD and didn't regret that choise.

Difficult decision.
Why are SPD's ugly on a road bike (assuming of course you've not put platform XTs on a colnago, which would be an abomination)? SPD's were originally marketed for touring bikes, so tarmac is not a strange environment for their use. SL's are hardly sleek, streamlined bullets of hi tec attractiveness either. That's the sort of rubbish we expect to hear from the Velomanti.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
For 20+ years I rode with 520s and Lake shoes as this gave me the shoe width and ease of walking I wanted.

This spring I decided to change to both a road shoe and boot. It took some effort to find some which are a good fit but it was worth it. The benefits:
  • Wider range
  • Stiffer soles
  • Look better
I've noticed no difference in walking in these and can't say they have contributed to any huge performance improvement.

I would say the foot slipping is probably to do with technique. It should be almost automatic. From all the clicking I hear around me SPDs are generally easier to clip in.

You've made reference to "proper roadies" please don't let anyone decry your choice of kit, shoe, bike, riding style etc. Do what is right for you. As for "proper roadies?" No such thing and ignore anyone who believes he/she is a "proper roadie."
Haha no-one has decried my kit personally, just what you read people saying on the internet.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've a set of fairly aged Sidi MTB XC shoes with rigid carbon soles. No compliance whatsoever. Like waking in expensive clogs.

How can road shoes be even stiffer than completely rigid? They cant, is the answer. Of my road shoes the Pearl Izumi are the stiffest, but still far short of completely rigid.

Rigidity and fit is a function of the shoe, not the attachment system.

As a complete aside, the Pearl Izumi road shoes are supremely comfortable, and the cut and fit are like a second skin. They're the main reason I keep giving into temptation and refitting the Ultegra SL's back on my felt (before invariably getting annoyed with the inconvenience for utility and leisure riding, and taking them off again - the pedal swapping is a seasonal cycle of madness in the Drago garage!)

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
PD-A520 is similar to the A600's, wasnt aware they had discontinued them :ohmy::sad: I better try and hoover a few pairs up as they pop up to hide in the spares cupboard :laugh: I think I already have some A520's in there :laugh:

Mark pallister

I find spd sl pedals more comfortable on longer rides matched with carbon soled shoes are a lot better for out of the saddle climbing

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
PD-A520 is similar to the A600's, wasnt aware they had discontinued them :ohmy::sad: I better try and hoover a few pairs up as they pop up to hide in the spares cupboard :laugh: I think I already have some A520's in there :laugh:
Yeah everywhere seems to be sold out, and one shop said that they had been discontinued.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have spd-sls on my road bike and my TT bike (r550s and r7000 respectively), spds on my cx/gravel/holiday/crap weather bike (m520s). The spd pedals don't hold me back in anyway. If you're happy with your current pedals, why change? Unless you just fancy giving spd-sls a go on the new bike.

JhnBssll

Veteran
If you fancy SPD-SLs then give them a go. Then tell us what you think. You might prefer them.

Personally I've never moved on from 2 bolt SPDs because of my existing shoes, and because I don't feel there's anything wrong with SPDs. But one day I might give SPD-SLs a go out of curiosity.

I'll bet they don't, whoever they are. I suspect that most of this perceived snobbishness ("They were giving my bike funny looks") is actually born of insecurity. I'm afraid to be seen with my humble bike, and so I imagine other people are looking down on it. Nobody really cares about other people's pedals. If they are looking at them at all they're probably thinking something like "Is that an M-520 or an M-540?"

Completely agree with all of this. Insecurity works both ways too, I prefer riding my 'best' bike on my own because I know within my club there are people that would do it far more justice and am worried what they might be thinking :laugh: Pretty silly really, as I'm sure they're all there for the same reason - to have fun on a bicycle 😊 There's one guy that rocks up week after week on an old 80's steel bike that looks like it's never been serviced. He's routinely faster than me, regardless of what I'm riding :laugh: I suspect he'd still be quicker if I owned an ebike :laugh:

DSK

Personally I find SPD-SL's much more stable and ride better with them. ............

Ditto.

I didn't find the SPD-SL any harder to clip into being single sided as the pedal always flops one way,, so just catch it, clip and go. I found SPD's more difficult to clip into!

SPD-SL cleats don't slip on slippy surfaces like the SPD ones did nearly landing me on my @ss when running through the kitchen and patio to/from the bike.

Venod

Eh up
I was a Look user when clipless first came out, they were my first clipless, then SPD's arrived via my MTB, they soon became my pedal of choice, double sided, never miss a clip in first time, I can walk in the shoes, which are just as stiff as the road shoes, all my bikes now have SPD's and nobody has mentioned or looked down on this.
I can't see any advantage of SPD-SL platform type pedals.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
i prefer 3-bolted cleats as they won’t cause a problem if you lose a bolt out on the road…
A bolt on my SPD cleat once worked its way loose without my noticing, went for a ride and couldn't get my foot out. Had to think quickly and managed to avoid falling off by unclipping my other foot but I was left with a foot stuck to the pedal :laugh:, so yours is a valid concern!

Top Bottom