woo hoo I have my new MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helly79

I finally pick up my new Carrera Mountain bike (Fury 08 16") last night, I have never had a bike with disc brakes and even a front suspension before. It was lovely to ride apart from the Gears needing to be tweaked, I think it might be best to take it back to them so that they could do it or should I do it myself?

The Gears sound like they are jumping gears even though I am not touching the tiggers. Not sure what to do

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lift the back wheel and pedal. Are they jumping to the smaller or larger cog on the back?

This vid should help you adjust the rear mech, if needed. Probably just need to tweak the barrel adjuster a bit.

Regards,
SD

RedBike

Halfords advertise that they give every bike a 50(or whatever) point safety check. The fact that your gears don't work from day one just re-inforces the sterotypical view a lot of cyclists have of Halfords.

The gears are easily enough adjusted. However, thats not the point. You've paid for the bike to be assembled and checked. Somthing they've charged you for but clearly haven't done. Hand it back to them and get them to sort the gears out properly AND check everything is set up correctly.
To check the bolt tensions, grease parts will take an experianced mechanic a good 15mins. If the bike appears back 2/3mins later they clearly haven't checked anything correctly.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Thank you for your advice unfortunately had to use halfords as it was the place my work set up the cycle to work scheme, would have like to use a small local company. They asked if I wanted to take out there cycle maintain plan but I didn't because I want to take my bike to a local bike shop instead. I will take it back tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks guyz

medication25

HAH! Don’t get me started with Halfords, I recently got a GT Zum off them.. took it out for a spin and gears 7/8 where slipping tons.. took it back the next day... week later they call me said the rear hanger is bent... would take a week to get a new one in and fit it...

2 weeks later... I collect the bike take it for a 2 mile spin and while going down the old Kent road I moved the front gears onto the top cog? The front hanger threw the chain over the top and I fell off b/c I was free spinning due to the chain sitting on the guard on the front cog that stops the chain coming off altogether...

Took it back and they fixed it within 15 mins.. point is they gave me the bike in a dangerous state x2!

Daisymolly

medication25 said:
HAH! Don’t get me started with Halfords, I recently got a GT Zum off them.. took it out for a spin and gears 7/8 where slipping tons.. took it back the next day... week later they call me said the rear hanger is bent... would take a week to get a new one in and fit it...

2 weeks later... I collect the bike take it for a 2 mile spin and while going down the old Kent road I moved the front gears onto the top cog? The front hanger threw the chain over the top and I fell off b/c I was free spinning due to the chain sitting on the guard on the front cog that stops the chain coming off altogether...

Took it back and they fixed it within 15 mins.. point is they gave me the bike in a dangerous state x2!

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me with the bike I got from Halfrauds, chain thrown off as was I, straight on to tarmac!!!!;) That bike was then stolen & I knew the replacement had more or less the same issue as soon as I took for the "test":laugh: ride in their car park!!! Had to accept it as it was an insurance coy replacement, put it straight in to the back of the car & off to my lbs for proper adjustement:becool:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Helly79 said:
Not sure what to do

Learn how to fix it yourself. If you ever ride it in the hills you will be shocked by the shortage of local bike shops.

As for the other tales of woe re Halfords of course that sort of thing never ever ever EVER happens in local bike shops does it?:biggrin: Small local independent retailer = guarantee of good service to novice bikers. LMFAO

I earwigged a conversation on the train last night where all three of my LBS were roundly slagged off by four clueless weekend warrior "cyclists".

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anyway if you ride a MTB you are supposed to be self-sufficient. If the gears go out of adjustment 20 miles away from anywhre on top of a hill you'll need to know how to readjust them.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

I took my bike back they were helpful and sorted out the gear problem although the chain is still rubbing on the derailer they said it will do this for a time because it has to bed in that sounds strange to me, is this true?

I will keep watching the bicycle tutor to get more tips as the bike is in warranty I think it is best I let them sort it out but once its out of warranty then I keep up the maintenance myself might look to see if there is bike maintenance course around norwich that I could go to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If rubbing on the front, then this is OK - you have to 'trim' it a bit - i.e. give a little 'extra' push on the lever.......

You can't use all 8,9,10 rear gears on the front 2,3 .... they rub...unless you decide to buy Dura Ace 7900 and they say it doesn't, and then the chain snaps....?

RedBike

I took my bike back they were helpful and sorted out the gear problem although the chain is still rubbing on the derailer they said it will do this for a time because it has to bed in that sounds strange to me, is this true?
As you use the gears the cables will stretch. So it is possible that a front mech that rubs now wont rub in a week or twos time. However, there's no real need for it to be rubbing at all.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

fossyant said:
If rubbing on the front, then this is OK - you have to 'trim' it a bit - i.e. give a little 'extra' push on the lever.......

Yes it is the front one so thank you for the advice thought I ask you guys as I haven't had a new bike for 15 years so I can't remember what problems I had with my old bike when it was new.

Now I can sleep easily tonight lol

Top Bottom