Wood burners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A near neighbour has been felling Leylandii and Sycamore recently and giving away the logs. I’ve dedicated many hours to barrowing these about 500 yards from his garden to my allotment, uphill. The woodshed and store is full of cut and split logs.

I have a question; the Leylandii is more difficult to split than the Sycamore. I was surprised by this, one being a softwood and the other hard I thought it would be the reverse. Chainsaw handled both equally well. Any thoughts on this?

I also have stored beech which is about five years old - trunks around 15-18” girth. My chainsaw hardly makes an impression and splitting these is very, very hardwork, close to impossible.

I had expected the five year stored beech to split easily by now. Should I have split these when I got them? Any suggestions on how to split this very tough wood?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A near neighbour has been felling Leylandii and Sycamore recently and giving away the logs. I’ve dedicated many hours to barrowing these about 500 yards from his garden to my allotment, uphill. The woodshed and store is full of cut and split logs.

I have a question; the Leylandii is more difficult to split than the Sycamore. I was surprised by this, one being a softwood and the other hard I thought it would be the reverse. Chainsaw handled both equally well. Any thoughts on this?

I also have stored beech which is about five years old - trunks around 15-18” girth. My chainsaw hardly makes an impression and splitting these is very, very hardwork, close to impossible.

I had expected the five year stored beech to split easily by now. Should I have split these when I got them? Any suggestions on how to split this very tough wood?
We removed a leylandii hedge, and kept it for firewood, I think it's all the knots and irregularities that makes it hard to split. I think it was just a long job (Mr Summerdays did the hard work). Just taken down a cherry tree (growing into our electricity cable), and so far it was significantly heavier to move than the leylandii!

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Beech is very resistant to splitting, why do you think they use it for Mallets and tool handles (burns well though)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 5010026, member: 259"]You're often better off with a splitting wedge for beech.

Leylandii is horrible wood for a stove, though.[/QUOTE]
We let it sit a few years before using and mix in with other wood. It was just a good way to get rid of a horrible hedge!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One of these and a lump hammer would be my solution,

View attachment 379919

I have two!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5010026, member: 259"]You're often better off with a splitting wedge for beech.

Leylandii is horrible wood for a stove, though.[/QUOTE]

Not my favourite by a long way but I also mix it with other wood and it seems to be OK then. Not that I’ve had this much before.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
There's nothing wrong with a bit of unruly leylandii, with the right tools it's fun to knock into shape and it helps to keep you in shape too.
15224816411_4e9c8ed24d_n.jpg
15310443655_10b1dfc55a_n.jpg
37834733326_fbe17b7491_n.jpg

I keep my hedge trimmed to about 3m (height) x 1.25m (depth) x 30m (length), and in return it contributes towards my wood pile
37626195730_212e5c3ab7_n.jpg
37163671323_83cdde6752_n.jpg

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
A tree came down along a walk near me last year... every night we would pass this bloke and his wheel barrow complete with his head torch beavering away chopping it up a bit at a time till it eventually disappeared.
There’s a tree that’s blown over along a public footpath close to where I live, does anyone know what the legal situation is in regard to cutting it up with a chainsaw and carting the wood home in a wheelbarrow?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There’s a tree that’s blown over along a public footpath close to where I live, does anyone know what the legal situation is in regard to cutting it up with a chainsaw and carting the wood home in a wheelbarrow?
I doubt anyone will complain it seems to take ages for the council to do anything..... but I suspect it's not legal.

Top Bottom