Wood burners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
All wood burning stoves are not equal. The cleaner burning ones are on an approved list and are considerably more expensive than an ordinary stove. I've also given up burning logs now and use the compressed logs, which burn better for longer.
Did the dog recommend them?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TexasChainSaw3D-review_010313_1600.jpg

wood_20pile.jpg

marshmallows_shutterstock_1611432.jpg

Ahhhhhhh.
Does that have the same kind of provenance as your photo competition entries, Dan?:whistle:

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm currently, and rather ironically, burning my house to heat my house. Having just had a loft conversion, the builders helpfully chopped up all the timbers for me to use.
We did this when we had the roof redone. Amazing old split-lath battens which made brilliant kindling.

Sorry about the smoke though, @sight-pin. We have various means of making our stoves more efficient but it's true there's always a puff or three.

Ganymede

Veteran
Ok burner men have left and we are desperately trying to get it lit so any tips will be gratefully received.
Read the instructions re what should be open in terms of vents.

Get a lot of small kindling and select some small split logs. Roll up and loosely knot 3 or 4 pages of full-sized newsprint. Lay these at the bottom making sure you can reach some of the ends of the rolled-up bits.

Lay the kindling all over the paper (no logs yet). Be generous, as it's the first time, and especially if the day is still or the room or chimney is cold (ie is there a cold draft coming down?).

Light in 3 or 4 places. As the paper catches, lay a small log or two on top and close the door till nearly shut. Watch to see how it draws. Shut the door gently when you think it's getting going, leaving the vent/vents open.

What brand btw?

Ganymede

Veteran
NB I have 3 woodstoves and have had 2 other brands in the past so I have some experience.

If the chimney is v cold I usually burn loosely-packed newspaper to get a real roar and reverse the draft before I light the fire.

Once it's going you can close/adjust any vents to get a steady burn.

Ganymede

Veteran
I expect you have been warned that for the first burn or two it will smell nasty as the polish burns off - you need to open the window I'm afraid! Get it nice and hot and it should all go after the first burn, though it might linger till the next.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ok burner men have left and we are desperately trying to get it lit so any tips will be gratefully received.

Once the fire is well alight and the fire itself has warmed up you can close the bottom vents. The top vents are used to regulate the temperature and burn rate. Wide open the fire burns hotter but not as long. Closing the top vents a bit makes the fire burn longer, but the temp goes down a bit. Its very trial and error at first. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sight-pin

Veteran
To be honest, i'd probably have one myself if i could....cough...cough :laugh:
A friend of mine who lives abroad has a couple of wood burners, but he now burns these pellets instead of logs which automatically feed into his wood burner from an outside hopper or something like that. I think you can even have them with a heat exchanger inbuilt to run radiators off of them, probably cost a few bob though..

Ganymede

Veteran
Once the fire is well alight and the fire itself has warmed up you can close the bottom vents. The top vents are used to regulate the temperature and burn rate. Wide open the fire burns hotter but not as long. Closing the top vents a bit makes the fire burn longer, but the temp goes down a bit. Its very trial and error at first. Good luck.
Agree with this, though it varies with the make of the stove. My Clearview Pioneer has a wheel on the front which provides the main draught, then once that's shut the smaller adjustments are made with a slider underneath via a sticky-out handle at the front. My Woodwarm has main vents at the bottom of the front and the adjuster on the side near the top.

Top Bottom