Wood burners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's a Burley, we went with his recommendation and it was the one they had lit in their workshop.

Seems to be going now, and a little whiffy I think. It's nice being able to shut the front door after two days when it has been permeantly open!
Be a bit careful with the first couple of burns in a new stove, they need to 'bed in' at first before you can use them fully (its the expansion and contraction they have to get used to) a bit like running in a new engine.
Edit - Just let it burn for a couple of hours then go out for the first couple of days. This was after I thought about my 'be careful' advice and after @welsh dragon liked it

Last edited:

stumpy66

Veteran
Have a look at a Dovre 250. Same as the above but a bit fussier.
I've had a douvre 250 for about 8 years, great stove, heats my room no probs

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You've got to have a stove fan too for better distribution of heat. It works by magic, when the stove gets to a certain temperature the blades start spinning around.

E810BB-med.jpg

We've got a Vesta stove, quality British made iron.

vesta_v8_woodburning_stove-700x700.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What now ?

Treat yourself for christmas

Globalti

Legendary Member
Be a bit careful leaving a stove ticking over all night; some people say they can make carbon monoxide.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Be a bit careful leaving a stove ticking over all night; some people say they can make carbon monoxide.
Not if its made by a reputable company AND there is sufficient 'draw' on the chimney/flue.
Ours pulls so much air up the chimney (when cold) that when I sweep the chimney out in the way a sweep does (I paid for it to be swept once to find out how to do it correctly then bought rods and brushes) the 'black bin bag' that you tape to the front of the stove gets sucked into the thing by the vacuum created by the chimney....................Plus we have a carbon monoxide detector in the room (belt and braces man me, can't be too careful with these things) but a poorly maintained gas fire is far more likely to kill you than a woodburner is.

Top Bottom