Wood burners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

I intend one day on making the OP very happy although not deliberately. A rocket fire. Burn wood with only an exhaust not a chimney. 10% of the wood for the same amount of heat. Well its hard fetching wood with bicycle trailer and I am getting old!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
[QUOTE 3430293, member: 9609"]I had a home made camping stove fashioned out of a tin can, and this was the best and most smoke free way to light it.

As for my open fire at home, I light that the traditional way and use a bleazer, so very fast results. (flames licking up the chimney in about 15 seconds!)

Slitters v Mauls - I have the Maul, wonderful 'thug' tool. I get to use it in anger too; I have free access to as much dead Elm as I want, and that must be the most difficult wood there is to split. I think that is why I get the free access, the commercial boys won't touch it, they prefer the easy to split beech and ash.[/QUOTE]
What's a bleazer?

brand

[QUOTE 3430308, member: 9609"]How weird that 'bleazer' (or any other variation of spelling that I can think of) does not appear to be a real word - my Gypsy/Geordie upbringing has given me a very unique and bizarre dictionary :wacko:

I can't think of any other word for it- its a thing you put over the front of the fire to force all the air to be drawn into the base of the fire, its like a self perpetuating blast furnace, makes hard to light fires very easy - I have a posh one I made out out ally plate with a window cut in it to watch the phenomenon.[/QUOTE]
Posh bugger everyone else used a sheet of newspaper.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
[QUOTE 3427501, member: 45"]Do you have an inexpensive source for these?[/QUOTE]
Try finding a local joinery shop or timber yard with a pellet maker .
I think Timbmet is fairly local to you .
Basically they use the saw dust produced for the business to make the pellets and then use these to heat the workshop . Fairly carbon neutral despite the rantings above :laugh:
My local joiner shop sells them for around £100 per pallet , no idea of shipping costs . They are called Timbawood/ Timbalite ( http://timbalite.com/ ) if youre interested in getting a quote .

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I intend one day on making the OP very happy although not deliberately. A rocket fire. Burn wood with only an exhaust not a chimney. 10% of the wood for the same amount of heat. Well its hard fetching wood with bicycle trailer and I am getting old!

Don't bank on that.

Ganymede

Veteran
I have a bit of an obsession with rocket stoves, or rocket mass heaters. However I'm not sure how British house insurers would handle the idea! Tell us if you get one, I would be fascinated.

Try finding a local joinery shop or timber yard with a pellet maker .
I think Timbmet is fairly local to you .
Basically they use the saw dust produced for the business to make the pellets and then use these to heat the workshop . Fairly carbon neutral despite the rantings above :laugh:
My local joiner shop sells them for around £100 per pallet , no idea of shipping costs . They are called Timbawood/ Timbalite ( http://timbalite.com/ ) if youre interested in getting a quote .
Well this is how it's supposed to work - waste local wood and unusable sawdust and chippings being made into heat. But alas, it's become a wasteful international bunfight, hence the "rantings". If you can get it local, all to the good, but if you convert to pellets and then the local supply dries up... not so much.
[QUOTE 3430512, member: 9609"]yes, but what's it called in the real world, I know it as a bleazer but that is looking like it is just local dialect.

and yes, a newspaper (supported by the dust pan) is the proper way of doing it, trouble is it occasionally will turn brown then burst into flames with burning bits of burning paper floating around the living room - i will get a pictire of my home made one later - they're brilliant for getting fires going.[/QUOTE]
This happened to me once. Shoved the blazing paper into the fireplace with a scream (I was about 14 at the time). I guess a "bleazer" sort of temporarily reproduces the venting system of a woodstove - much better idea than using bellows too as it is passive - show us a pic! I think I need one of those long blowing tubes for my little cabin stove though - it draws reluctantly on still days and is right down on the floor so uncomfortable to blow at with your chin on the hearth.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a bit of an obsession with rocket stoves, or rocket mass heaters. However I'm not sure how British house insurers would handle the idea! Tell us if you get one, I would be fascinated.

Well this is how it's supposed to work - waste local wood and unusable sawdust and chippings being made into heat. But alas, it's become a wasteful international bunfight, hence the "rantings". If you can get it local, all to the good, but if you convert to pellets and then the local supply dries up... not so much.

This happened to me once. Shoved the blazing paper into the fireplace with a scream (I was about 14 at the time). I guess a "bleazer" sort of temporarily reproduces the venting system of a woodstove - much better idea than using bellows too as it is passive - show us a pic! I think I need one of those long blowing tubes for my little cabin stove though - it draws reluctantly on still days and is right down on the floor so uncomfortable to blow at with your chin on the hearth.
Try using a hairdryer, I use an old one on my barbecue/chiminea outside. (extension lead needed as well)

Hicky

Guru
I've got a Hunter Villager in sunny Rochdale.
I burn all sorts on it, preferably peat for the smell but it leaves lots of ash.
A handful of newspaper in knots, one or two slightly scrunched up and a few bits of kindling and away we go.
I can if need be get it going with the fluff from the dryer and a featherstick and a fire steel......when I lost everything else(read eldest off playing "hunger games".....ie building a den.)

There's a monoxide detector both up and downstairs.....love it especially when it's poor weather, however everyone tends to nod off.....

Top Bottom