Woodcote CX sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Anyone else doing it next yr? They've just opened the online entries again for the 27th Jan 2013, and I'm signed up to do the 80km route :eek:.

Last yr was very cold and very muddy, but great fun. Never seen so many punctures in one place !!!

Singout if you're coming to play in the mud.

Gareth C

Veteran
I'm in for 40k. Looking forward to it!

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I will be doing it again, I only live 6 miles from the start so it's perfect for me as no muddy bike to take home in the car and the ride to the start is a nice warm up. Its a great ride, the first year I rode it was brilliant but very cold, last year I had to abandon as I had so many punctures I used up all my spare tubes and had to ride home slowly on a flat rear tyre. The tyre was split anyway so no amount of riding on it flat would make it any worse.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Flint, and plenty of it!

The tracks and byways round here are all flint base so make sure your tyres are upto the job before you take part.

Great event though

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Last year I made the mistake of running Conti CX Speed's (I didn't know better at the time and they came as standard on the bike) and they slid all over the place and punctured within 3miles of the start.

This year I'm going to give Vittoria Cross XG Pro's a go @ 65psi. A friend recommended them as a good general terrain tyre. Woodcote had thick mud, road, concrete track, rocky trails and woodland leaves and roots. I think that qualify's as mixed terrain :laugh:.

VamP

Banned
Last year I made the mistake of running Conti CX Speed's (I didn't know better at the time and they came as standard on the bike) and they slid all over the place and punctured within 3miles of the start.

This year I'm going to give Vittoria Cross XG Pro's a go @ 65psi. A friend recommended them as a good general terrain tyre. Woodcote had thick mud, road, concrete track, rocky trails and woodland leaves and roots. I think that qualify's as mixed terrain :laugh:.

At 65 psi you're still going to slide all over the place.

VamP

Banned
What would you recommend then?

30 psi for clinchers and 25 for tubs. Ideal weapon in the conditions you describe would be TUFO tubs with half a bottle of Extreme sealant in each tub. Could drop to 20 front and 23 rear then for velcro like grip.

Howard

Unless you are a flyweight like me, I'd have thought you'd run the risk of pinching clinchers at 30psi. I'd go 35-40 for safety, then add some more if you are hefty. Tubs - yes, that's the no-compromise option, but you are completely stuffed if you get a puncture the sealant can't deal with. Bring a spare tub with you, perhaps.

Do people actually ride CX sportives on tubs? Serious question.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'm 12.5st, so I will probably split the difference between 30 and 65 and run closer to 45. The Vittoria's have some puncture protection, so hopefully will do better than my Conti's (well they couldn't do much worse :thumbsup:)

VamP

Banned
Unless you are a flyweight like me, I'd have thought you'd run the risk of pinching clinchers at 30psi. I'd go 35-40 for safety, then add some more if you are hefty. Tubs - yes, that's the no-compromise option, but you are completely stuffed if you get a puncture the sealant can't deal with. Bring a spare tub with you, perhaps.

Do people actually ride CX sportives on tubs? Serious question.

Dunno, I would I guess. Haven't seen a hole big enough for the sealant not to deal with yet, but of course it could happen. The Tufo's are exceptionally robust though. Wouldn't fancy doing it on Dugasts.

Top Bottom