Wooden floor or carpet

Wooden floor or carpet?

• Wooden floor

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Carpet

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Proper wood, laminate or carpet ?
Wood every time. We have a proper block flooring downstairs, half inch thick blocks of real wood. Once you have had that, laminate looks so cheap and false. Real wood is also warm, both in looks and feel.

REAL wood! My biggest mistake was having laminate. Still better when you've got a cat. However because it's synthetic, there seems to be areas which collect dust which you don't get the same with a wooden floor. I don't think wood is easier to look after though, as nothing is simpler than vacuuming a carpet.

We only have carpet on stairs and bedrooms. Hall, bathroom, conservatory and kitchen are tiles (victorian style) lounge/dining and study are wood.
Study wooden floor came out of a skip (Parquet little bricks of mahogany or something)
Lounge diner is made from Yew wood. It was a tree in my front garden that had to come down and I hired a bench saw and cut it up into a huge pile of little blocks which I stuck down one by one.

colly

Re member eR
Compromise. Get a wooden carpet !:smile:

We have carpets in the lounge and bedrooms but wood floors in the dining room and laminate tile thingy stuff kitchen.

I like wood floors but they can be cold and noisy.

Living room = carpet
Wood floors are a fashion thing, and will come and go as do flared trousers. Traditionally carpet was the thing to have as it can be expensive to make and so only those who could afford it would cover a wood floor with a textile. A wood floor being something a stage above pounded earth. A living room is somewhere you would take guests so would show it off there. An equivalent of having a BMW on the drive.

:smile:

In reality we mostly have tiled (kitchen/diner) or wood. The living room and daughters bedroom are only rooms that are carpeted (living replaced only a week ago). Did consider wood but after talking to one of our neighbours that did it last year decided against it as they went off it due to noise and that it isn't very nice to sit or lay on without going numb.

Depends on your room. A large one in a modern house may invite 'strictly come dancing' comments, a small one in a victorian terrace with a rug and original floorboards would suit it admirably.

I voted carpet, but its your home so whatever you choose will be right.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's just a fashion thing, innit? Estate agents try and persuade everybody that "clean, cool" rooms look bigger. Great on the brochure when you try and sell, but miserable to live with.

Carpets, anyone?

dudi

Pets on wood = no fun. the hair forms tumbleweed forms in the breeze and rolls about the sitting room unless you hoover thoroughly every other day...
Also, get a decent carpet and you'll save a fortune in slippers. You'll never want to wear them so that you can make the most of the deep, soft wollen pile... mmmmmmmm

Globalti

Legendary Member
Carpet for relaxing rooms like bedrooms and lounge. Vinyl for kitchen, bathrooms and loo. Carpet for the stairs. But we're going to have a quality wood floor for the hall, one day when we can afford it.

Top Bottom