Wooden workbench suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I recently fitted out my garage as a workshop and decided on two benches. A Clarke metal frame job from Machine Mart and one very similar to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-hand...nch-mdf-top-/392430761859?hash=item5b5eb23783

The Clarke one is OK. I have the scroll saw bolted to it and the bandsaw at the other end. Not what I would call heavy duty though.

The wooden one is very good. I did the calculations and could barely buy the wood at the price it costs. Very easy to put together and once voted to the wall with a couple of metal L shaped brackets doesn't move.

I then built a third bench based on this one but using 2 x 4 for the lathe. The lathe is now on the bought bench as I discovered that the lathe head rotates to allow bowl turning and my made bench wasn't big enough. (Boo!)

I would recommend that bench over the more expensive Clarke one. My only concern is the MDF top. I'm not sure if it is glued on as well. It might make replacing it in due course awkward but not impossible.

I can take some photos if you want?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Or buy a cheaper one and beef it up yourself?

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Here's the bench I made and the corner of the purchased wooden bench.

I added doors to my bench. I can get better pics if needed!

I just checked the seller of my bench and it was indeed a sawmill selling on e Bay.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have an old worktop that sits on freestanding shelves at either end. The only addition I have made to in it over 20 years is to bolt it to the wall to help when I really go at the vice mounted to the worktop. I know you said you don't want worktop, but what is the problem with it?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Your local sawmill could do with your money. I run a small mill here and often run up a few benches in kit form.
Any good hardwood will do. 8 x 4” planks for the top and 4 x 4” legs with some 2 x 4 bracing all round. Handsaw, chisel, drill, a few dry pegs or bolts and you have (1) used up two days of lockdown (2) helped a local business (3) kept English woodland trade alive (4) got the perfect bench.
The EBay stuff is shite

Well I agree with your comments.
If you want to do one in kit form and sort out the carriage then I am interested so let me know

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have an old worktop that sits on freestanding shelves at either end. The only addition I have made to in it over 20 years is to bolt it to the wall to help when I really go at the vice mounted to the worktop. I know you said you don't want worktop, but what is the problem with it?

Yes I want a worktop but not in MDF .

Here's the bench I made and the corner of the purchased wooden bench.

View attachment 515414

I added doors to my bench. I can get better pics if needed!

I just checked the seller of my bench and it was indeed a sawmill selling on e Bay.

Thanks but ok at re pictures

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Your local sawmill could do with your money. I run a small mill here and often run up a few benches in kit form.
Any good hardwood will do. 8 x 4” planks for the top and 4 x 4” legs with some 2 x 4 bracing all round. Handsaw, chisel, drill, a few dry pegs or bolts and you have (1) used up two days of lockdown (2) helped a local business (3) kept English woodland trade alive (4) got the perfect bench.
The EBay stuff is shite
I'd agree but use Pine* for the top planks but then I am a Cabinet Maker

* The bench top should be softer than the workpiece.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I'd agree but use Pine* for the top planks but then I am a Cabinet Maker

* The bench top should be softer than the workpiece.
Of course, a skin of softwood maybe. I imagined the OP would be hammering hubs or mounting truing stands...

@biggs682 ive only larch in stock at present, and the carriage would kill it for you. Surely there’s a local sawmill would run you up something suitable? pm me if you want me to ask my timber haulier - he runs wood into your neighbourhood and will know who’s making what. :okay:

I've got a Black and Decker workbench that I bought for my Dad - probably about 35 years ago - still works fine

However - has anyone got a system where they can use the workbench as a bike workstand - i.e. hold it up with a clamp while you work on it
I always used to just work on a bike with it upside down - but with all the stuff on the bars nowadays this is impractical - and hydraulic brakes can (maybe) have problems if turned upside down.

gbb

Legendary Member

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Apols, was 18mm ply but stiff and solid enough for the dimensions I had and the work I intend to do on it. @Hill Wimp has something similar for her craft work...it’s folding under the weight of wool....

BFDD82BE-2C5D-4DF0-9752-BBD7C53DCFDF.jpeg

Top Bottom