Wooden workbench suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just got a pub style bench delivered from them the other day, good quality for the price.
It looks pretty much ideal for bike-related stuff. There's no point in buying an immaculate solid beech worktop if it's going to get slathered in grease and road crap. A laminate surface should be fine.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I made my own bespoke one. The only trouble is, the ceiling in my cellar is quite low and , when I forget, I keep banging my head on one of the beams.
Many swear words have been said, both French or English, depending on the intensity of the knock on my head.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I use a beechwood bench from Ulmia, fortunately I was able to get it from a colleague who had shut up his carpentry business.

Depending on your budget, you could try the Dictum shop, which is where most craftspersons in Germany go. Be warned though, that's a dangerous website...

On the other direction Paul Sellers has tutorials on all things woodwork and includes one on how to make a workbench from scratch using builders pine from a timber yard. Mindful that many people assume you already have a workbench he deliberately shows a method where you can start with rough cut pine and work on a trestle in the garden. I think he's since made a tutorial on how to make a trestle without a workbench.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I use a beechwood bench from Ulmia, fortunately I was able to get it from a colleague who had shut up his carpentry business.

Depending on your budget, you could try the Dictum shop, which is where most craftspersons in Germany go. Be warned though, that's a dangerous website...

On the other direction Paul Sellers has tutorials on all things woodwork and includes one on how to make a workbench from scratch using builders pine from a timber yard. Mindful that many people assume you already have a workbench he deliberately shows a method where you can start with rough cut pine and work on a trestle in the garden. I think he's since made a tutorial on how to make a trestle without a workbench.
Paul Sellers is indeed very good. The most important thing for a bench is stability, then it depends on what you're using it for. A woodworker ideally needs to be able to get all the way round it and for it to have a sacrificial top. For us, mere bike fettlers, things are different, but softwood 4x2 would be fine.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Paul Sellers does a video where he speaks to the camera and quite casually planes a rough piece of sawn wood maybe four foot by one into a perfect flat surface in about 5 minutes. It's clearly dead easy ! Of course, if any of us tried it, it isn't easy at all - but he's been doing it for 50 years and is extremely good at it.

Paul Sellers does a video where he speaks to the camera and quite casually planes a rough piece of sawn wood maybe four foot by one into a perfect flat surface in about 5 minutes. It's clearly dead easy ! Of course, if any of us tried it, it isn't easy at all - but he's been doing it for 50 years and is extremely good at it.

I know, it's astonishing to watch, he makes beautiful dovetails in seconds as well, it's quite depressing.

On the other hand, I use his method for sharpening chisels and plane blades and it's faster and more effective than what I was taught in college...

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well a local carpentry company has been in touch so have given them an idea of what I want so will see what they come back with .

Had another reply from a local wood and hand made furniture supplier and they were not interested at all , but did volunteer to help in the future if we needed a new kitchen :laugh:

Mr Celine

Discordian
DIY, constructed over twenty years ago from scrap wood and chipboard -

And when not in use it's flipped out of the way to allow access to the freezer -

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If the bench is for bike stuff, what exactly are the brutal operations that require it to be extra sturdy? If you are chopping out mortice and tenons in hardwood, I can see that you don't want the workpiece to wander off when you smack it hard...…..but fiddling about with a bike....????????

Last edited:
Top Bottom