Wooden workbench suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A couple of lenghs of 4x4. 2x4 and 2x6, and a little bit of work you can make a really solid bench.

Gunk

Guru
Mine must be the only decoupage bench in existence, recycled out of a cupboard from my daughters bedroom

screenman

Legendary Member
Is it one of these https://www.toolstation.com/keter-folding-work-bench/p10910 ?

Not sure if you could mount a vice on it ?

No you cannot mount a vice on it but the grips that come with it are good, when I first got one I thought I may use it one day, no I use it almost every time I do some DIY, bike servicing, decorating, BBQ and lots more. Pops up in 2 seconds goes down in the same, I have no problem standing on it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
what's the bench for?

If you're going to be sawing lengths of wood and chiselling out mortises, it needs to resist racking (is that the correct term?). If it's just for mending bikes or model making, then it won't need to be quite so bulky and sturdy.

A couple of paving slabs can be handy on the bottom shelf to give a light bench some weight, if you have some.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
what's the bench for?

If you're going to be sawing lengths of wood and chiselling out mortises, it needs to resist racking (is that the correct term?). If it's just for mending bikes or model making, then it won't need to be quite so bulky and sturdy.

A couple of paving slabs can be handy on the bottom shelf to give a light bench some weight, if you have some.
Mostly bike related work

raleighnut

Legendary Member
what's the bench for?

Yep but it always surprises me when people have a heavy woodworking bench in a garden shed with a wooden (plank) floor then wonder why they struggle to chop out a mortice, you can see the floor 'bounce'

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just had a look at the Axminster website and they do look nice

It isn't perfect and getting the vice lined up is slightly tricky, but the woodwork is good and once you add in the hardware I can't really see how they can do them for the money.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
It isn't perfect and getting the vice lined up is slightly tricky, but the woodwork is good and once you add in the hardware I can't really see how they can do them for the money.
It’s only a guess, but the Latvian boy making them is paid tuppence ha’penny. That might be how they are cheap, no?

Top Bottom