Worcester university cyclists study

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru

Just posted this in Mountain Biking but will stick it here as well! As part of my University degree I am hoping to study the motivations and motivational differences present in road and off road cycling. At the moment i am just trying to find out how many people participate in both forms, be that in a competitive format or for leisure, road cycling in the summer and off road in the winter for example.

So out of interest are there any cyclists local to the Worcester/Malvern area that ride both disciplines and perhaps wouldn't mind being part of a dissertation?

Any information that I could get would be greatly appreciated and, this study is still in its 'feasibility' stage so no data is being collected or recorded.

Cheers.

Mad at urage

"motivations and motivational differences present in road and off road cycling. At the moment i am just trying to find out how many people participate in both forms, be that in a competitive format or for leisure,"
Are those the only two reasons people might participate in cycling? Or are you deliberately excluding other motivations?

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
"motivations and motivational differences present in road and off road cycling. At the moment i am just trying to find out how many people participate in both forms, be that in a competitive format or for leisure,"
Are those the only two reasons people might participate in cycling? Or are you deliberately excluding other motivations?

if i wanted to investigate all forms of cycling ie-commuting-track-downhill-fixed wheel-unicycling-tandem-touring-time trialing-road racing-cross country-ultra endurance-leisure-bmx-freestyle---the list goes on!! i would end up spending my final year doing a huge study that would result in data so confusing it would be meaningless. So yes i am deliberately excluding other forms of cycling, not really motivations though. Intrinsic / extrinsic factors may be present in all forms for example.

The idea is to expand on existing research that already exists (on Norwegian mountain bikers ) which indicates some surprising motivational factors present in riders that may not have been expected.

Having participants that undertake both 2 forms of cycling (they may do more) should give some interesting results.

I suppose in a nutshell the question would be do people go on a road club ride for the same reasons as thrash around a trail with their mates?

Top Bottom