Word is getting out ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
... around the rest of the country.

For some time now, we know that London Drivers are aware that cyclists are carrying cameras but word has started to spread. my electrician asked me the other day if i had one... and it became known on our works forum the other day with one driving expressing particular interest, asking if i always had it on me.

Do you think they're getting worried???

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
Possibly. Local paper warned road users to take care round cyclists as you may be caught on camera, by one.

Last edited:

Davidc

Guru
Saw a cyclist in Yeovil with a small version of the traffic camera sign on the pannier. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

(I was in my car at the time)

I have considered having a cam attached to my bike to capture my ride but I am yet to take the plunge because I don't agree with posting a video on YouTube of someone cutting me up or having bad driving skills essentially just to complain. I think it gives the cyclist a bit of a poor reputation. That said the only reason I would have a camera is incase I was involved in an accident or witnessed an accident and I needed real life CCTV to document what 'really' happened but I not sure if it would hold up in court as evidence.

Are there any other reasons to convince me to get one. I.e wider birth given.

MrDampy

Regular
C H, What would happen if you were Cycling Home and a van Cut you up and and damaged your bike and drove off, you got no witness to what has happened, if the car hits you on the roundabout, they can just say it was Your Fault! I think i need to get on this wagon, for a bit of evidence, on how many crazy Motorist there are out there!

crazyjoe101

I notice no difference in how drivers behave when I have my camera on/off my helmet, I have one for A) Evidence in case I need it, B) To show my family that cycling isn't some sort of suicidal maniac's hobby. and C) So I can share some of the interesting stuff that happens to me.
It doesn't make me any safer on the roads or make me a better cyclist.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I have considered having a cam attached to my bike to capture my ride but I am yet to take the plunge because I don't agree with posting a video on YouTube of someone cutting me up or having bad driving skills essentially just to complain. I think it gives the cyclist a bit of a poor reputation. That said the only reason I would have a camera is incase I was involved in an accident or witnessed an accident and I needed real life CCTV to document what 'really' happened but I not sure if it would hold up in court as evidence.

At the end of the day a camera is only a tool. It's what you do with it that matters.

Blurb

Über Member
I get asked every now and then by bikers/cyclists/drivers about the camera and they are interested in battery life etc., so there is certainly more of an awareness around (I am in London though). I don't think it makes any difference to close passes IME. I have it purely for evidence "just in case", and I like gadgets !
I've uploaded 3 vids in nigh on 12 months. A couple of close passes and a silly cyclist type clip. I usually format without reviewing unless something in particular catches my eye.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I dont think it is getting well known some cyclists have cameras. There are people I know that dont know I have a camera. It doesnt really change anything though. I doubt they would look at cyclists in any other way.

Top Bottom