Word is getting out ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHornswaggle

Harden the ____ up
I have a camera on my helmet.. 9 out of 10 rides I use it.. I post the scenic parts to YouTube for my friends to see.. Regards bad drivers - unless there was an accident or extreme abuse or something like that - I wouldn't use the footage.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I have a camera, it hasn't been used for a while, but I am considering getting it out again, would have helped with the idiot bus driver this morning...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Might make a fake one up and stick it on the lid

Others I knew, knew I ran with cameras so asked another rider what resolution his ran at and "is it HD?" It was quite funny when he corrected them and switched on the light that had been strapped to his helmet.

crazyjoe101

I don't mind most of them... there are some nutters out there, but that's the same with any walk of life.

There's one near me who hides up a pole in a little yellow box. Instead of posting my car all over the Internet, he sends demands for money.

I pay, of course. He knows where I live and may be unstable.

I've seen him hiding in other parts of the country on faster sections of road in the same little box, but I'm onto him now.

He seems blithely unaware that I pay Road Tax and do not need to be faffing about with minor issues like speed limits and unbroken white lines.

Typical, but then again isn't everything? Where do I put my tick for UKIP?

I see what you did there.

Jezston

Über Member
LTTsUIr.png

In case anyone isn't aware, this is an advert from taxinewspaper.co.uk, a free magazine given to taxi drivers - usually left in piles at busy ranks.

First saw this advert months ago when I picked up a copy. Wasn't until someone messaged me about it today that I did a little research and found you can download every issue from their website as a PDF! Hope to see that image do the rounds more :smile:

The attitudes towards other road users as presented by what is the official newspaper of the taxi trade, as it is produced by the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association, in articles, printed letters and leader columns by the editor are pretty disgraceful tbh.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have considered having a cam attached to my bike to capture my ride but I am yet to take the plunge because I don't agree with posting a video on YouTube of someone cutting me up or having bad driving skills essentially just to complain. I think it gives the cyclist a bit of a poor reputation. That said the only reason I would have a camera is incase I was involved in an accident or witnessed an accident and I needed real life CCTV to document what 'really' happened but I not sure if it would hold up in court as evidence.

Are there any other reasons to convince me to get one. I.e wider birth given.
i don't find it makes any difference at all other than sod's law the battery is flat and i've left it at home when i get some idiot driver on route. they don't really see it as they are not concentrating on me that hard. When i bought mine, it was after a particular malicious intentional incident that was reported to the police but nothing done about it (even though they questioned the driver and he admitted to the offence). I decided when i bought it I would use if for this purpose only, and not spend my life uploading every close pass to youtube (God, i'd be there forever!!!). So far, i have stuck to my promise to myself. If I get home without having to take a lift in an ambulance, i just delete the footage. A guy at work has bought one recently, swayed by me saying that it's really there for my mom... so that if some idiot does drive into me, she has the evidence to get some justice and hopefully some piece of mind (quite sad that i think like this isn't it?)

It has, however, come in very useful recently for some safety stuff i've been doing at work. It has raised a few of the driver's eyebrows and changed a lot of their opinions, even about their own driving. i've decided to keep in on my handlebars facing backwards, as it's close passes from behind that give me the most grief. i figure if someone does hit me, it should hopefully get the footage without behind smashed with the back of the bike (this is presuming the back of the bike comes off worse than the front).

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
The majority of incidents are because drivers don't clock you. If they don't clock you they certainly won't clock a camera.

Is the cyclist the best base for a camera? It would be great if all new cars had to have a mandatory operative camera that could be examined by the police after any incident. Might just modify driving (and some riding) behaviour to everybody's advantage. Good Russian drivers don't have a problem with the idea.
When i was doing the cycle safety video i put the camera in my car in the hope that i would see some cyclists and be able to film overtaking them. (just for the record, in two weeks i only saw one... so where are all these cyclists holding up the drivers???)
I would like to think that my hazard perception from cycling transfers to my driving, and i'm sure it does, but having the camera there made me even more conscious of how i drove. I think it would be an excellent idea that it was mandatory that cars had camera's in them.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Saw a cyclist in Yeovil with a small version of the traffic camera sign on the pannier. Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

(I was in my car at the time)
i've often wondered if a jersey with the same sign on the back would take off?

crazyjoe101

i've often wondered if a jersey with the same sign on the back would take off?

Whopping camera strapped to the top of my helmet asside, I'm not keen on drawing attention to the fact I cycle with it. I'm not out with a camera to show road users I'm watching them, I'm out with it to record my ride as to have evidence or just to record footage I can share with others.

D

Deleted member 26715

At the end of the day a camera is only a tool. It's what you do with it that matters.
But the problem seems to be with certain people that you would have a tool on the helmet & a tool underneath it.

The things that some of the YouTube brigade seem to think is dangerous & unacceptable is so common place & mundane it is quite frankly boring. They never seem to be in the wrong, never do poor road management, never hold anybody up or change lanes without indicating, never filter down the outside on the wrong side of the unbroken line, now every line of the Highway code backwards in klingon, God I wish I was as perfect as they are, maybe that's what I'm missing, maybe wearing a helmet cam & posting on YouTube will make me a cycling god where I can do no wrong, feck me, i'm going to buy one from Best Buy tomorrow.

Alan...

crazyjoe101

But the problem seems to be with certain people that you would have a tool on the helmet & a tool underneath it.

The things that some of the YouTube brigade seem to think is dangerous & unacceptable is so common place & mundane it is quite frankly boring. They never seem to be in the wrong, never do poor road management, never hold anybody up or change lanes without indicating, never filter down the outside on the wrong side of the unbroken line, now every line of the Highway code backwards in klingon, God I wish I was as perfect as they are, maybe that's what I'm missing, maybe wearing a helmet cam & posting on YouTube will make me a cycling god where I can do no wrong, feck me, i'm going to buy one from Best Buy tomorrow.

Alan...

I'm not going to argue with you about the conduct of some YouTubers in some of their videos as it can be confrontational and petty at times.

What I don't agree with is you saying that something which is inconsiderate and in a fraction of cases, dangerous "so common place and mundane that it is quite frankly boring". This is exactly the mentality that some drivers would use to justify repeatedly bad manoeuvres, and the reason there are so many cyclists jumping reds even where there's a risk from traffic and a risk to pedestrians; it's been allowed to become the norm. Sure, most of the time there's going to be what you like to call a "non event" but by law of averages, the more people think it's acceptable, the more it will happen and the more those "common place and boring" manoeuvres will get someone hit.

Just because some things happen all the time on the road, and some helmet cammers have a superiority complex, doesn't mean you can simply brush things off as being unimportant.

Last edited:

Jezston

Über Member

Alan...

Who are the 'youtube brigade'? Are they like the 'PC brigade' or the 'health and safety brigade' who exist only in the minds of the prejudiced?

Because your description of camera users doesn't seem to match up with anyone I know who uses one.

Top Bottom