Word is getting out ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
You are right Joe. It only ever ends in a shouting match or at worst a fighting match. But when an accident happens, whoever is to blame, no one ever just walks away. Human nature.

crazyjoe101

You are right Joe. It only ever ends in a shouting match or at worst a fighting match. But when an accident happens, whoever is to blame, no one ever just walks away. Human nature.

I know, I got a really slow pass by a cabbie the other day approaching a roundabout, he moved closer and closer from a good wide passing distance he began with before entering a mini roundabout. My attention became focused on him, since he sort of 'stuck' next to me moving slightly inwards I saw him nattering away into the phone blocking the left of his face. I lost it and shouted "WHY DON'T YOU GET OFF THAT PHONE MATE?" At the time it felt good but to be honest I doubt he cared, probably just thought "just another d******* cyclist". Looking over my shoulder the next mile also wasn't fun as I was paranoid of a punishment pass. I probably distracted him even more from the roundabout.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people

She was in the wrong tailgating, but for the cyclists own safety wouldn't it have been safer all round to just momentarily pull over and let her pass? Very few motorists will just say "I'm sorry" in that situation. There is almost always confrontation. She was an ignorant ass and the cyclist did nothing wrong. But for the sake of safety. Is it worth it?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I know, I got a really slow pass by a cabbie the other day approaching a roundabout, he moved closer and closer from a good wide passing distance he began with before entering a mini roundabout. My attention became focused on him, since he sort of 'stuck' next to me moving slightly inwards I saw him nattering away into the phone blocking the left of his face. I lost it and shouted "WHY DON'T YOU GET OFF THAT PHONE MATE?" At the time it felt good but to be honest I doubt he cared, probably just thought "just another d******* cyclist". Looking over my shoulder the next mile also wasn't fun as I was paranoid of a punishment pass. I probably distracted him even more from the roundabout.
The point is mate, that it never ends. There is always another situation waiting to happen somewhere to somebody. Sad, but true. Personally it's pedestrians stepping off kerbs that I have had words with lately. But again, it won't stop.

Recycle

Über Member
It doesn't make me any safer on the roads or make me a better cyclist.
It does with me.
Cycling with a camera is a double edged sword. Learn from Richard Nixon. If you break the law you are collecting evidence against yourself as much as you are for those that wrong you. If you carry a camera you need to ensure your own behavior is pristine.

For that reason I am as much in favour of cars with cameras as I am with cyclists carrying them.

crazyjoe101

The point is mate, that it never ends. There is always another situation waiting to happen somewhere to somebody. Sad, but true. Personally it's pedestrians stepping off kerbs that I have had words with lately. But again, it won't stop.

I know, it's very hard to decide if I want to ring the bell, shout or hit the brakes; sometimes none of them work but it's hard to make a decision quickly. On my first ride into Central London on Friday I soon realised it was safer to just stay in primary at traffic speed going *DING DING DING DING DING DING...*

crazyjoe101

It does with me.
Cycling with a camera is a double edged sword. Learn from Richard Nixon. If you break the law you are collecting evidence against yourself as much as you are for those that wrong you. If you carry a camera you need to ensure your own behavior is pristine.

For that reason I am as much in favour of cars with cameras as I am with cyclists carrying them.

True. I've got to the point where I've forgotten I wear it though, hence why I'm confused when some people keep glancing at the top of my helmet when I'm talking to them. Initially though it did add a few seconds into my thought processes.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
She was in the wrong tailgating, but for the cyclists own safety wouldn't it have been safer all round to just momentarily pull over and let her pass? Very few motorists will just say "I'm sorry" in that situation. There is almost always confrontation. She was an ignorant ass and the cyclist did nothing wrong. But for the sake of safety. Is it worth it?
Also, some real harsh comments on that YouTube video.

Hip Priest

Veteran
What I don't understand is why some people will seek further interaction with a driver after something's happened. The vast majority of people will react badly when confronted with what they've done wrong as they begin to realise they were in the wrong and become embarrassed or just believe steadfastly that they're correct. I can't recall when I've seen a confrontation end well; it's not as if they're going to go "well now that you've shown me my mistake I'll be sure to read into the rules and look to change my behaviour in the future."
Before going up to the window people might do well to ask themselves:
"What do I hope to achieve here?"
"What am I actually going to achieve here?"

Totally agree with this.

I had a couple of confrontations with motorists early on in my cycling days, and I quickly realised that it achieved nothing other than to ruin my day. So I decided from them on to try to remain calm. In the situation above I'd definitely have pulled slightly to the left and waved the impatient woman through.

Black Country Ste

I know talking to drivers is futile but I still do it. Meh. I'm sure there are plenty of reasonable drivers out there who will take things on board with good grace. On the other hand there's plenty of the wilfully ignorant who embarrass themselves.

Moving slightly to the left would have invited a stupid overtake, I was better off in front where I'm less likely to be deliberately hit than run off the road by a close pass. She can wait: I knew we would either part ways at the second roundabout or she would turn left with me where there was space to overtake. On a longer stretch I may have just let her go.

crazyjoe101

I know talking to drivers is futile but I still do it. Meh. I'm sure there are plenty of reasonable drivers out there who will take things on board with good grace. On the other hand there's plenty of the wilfully ignorant who embarrass themselves.

I think the problem is that generally the reasonable drivers aren't the ones who need an attitude adjustment.

Black Country Ste

There are plenty of existing examples so if the driver recognises their fault, unless it's particularly serious there's no need to upload them. Taking close passes for example, if I feel threatened by one then it's too close, end of. But, watching them later on they don't exactly appear deadly because of the wide angle lens. Uploading those diminish the seriously dangerous incidents that others have shared.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
i wouldn't have pulled over, i would have sat in front of her and slowed down . Moving over reinforces their belief they have a right over you

Top Bottom