Word is getting out ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The constant questioning of other's objectives and making out that its subversive rather than reactive is aggressive.
If you cant see that you've fallen into the same prejudiced trap many anti-cyclists take then you become part of the larger problem on the roads.
I'm not questioning your objectives in life, I just see cameras on bikes as spying. Simple!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'd say assertive rather than agressive, but I could be wrong.:smile:

Sorry fella, but people like Roadrider really aren't the problem. He's a cyclist and he doesn't see the point of cameras. That's it.

The point is that in-fighting of this sort, and pointless in-fighting at that, just weakens the effort we all should be making towards making cycling a real option for everyday people - from those that seek fitness to those that wish to save on fuel. If he doesn't want the whys and wherefores why the fingerpointing..? Rhetorical question, that

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The point is that in-fighting of this sort, and pointless in-fighting at that, just weakens the effort we all should be making towards making cycling a real option for everyday people - from those that seek fitness to those that wish to save on fuel. If he doesn't want the whys and wherefores why the fingerpointing..? Rhetorical question, that
Why is it the effort we all should be making, if I don't agree with it? I don't agree with cameras and I never will. You love filming things, and that's cool. Why am I not entitled to speak against the use of cameras? All you are doing is trying to force people into your way of thinking. You are the one who is aggressively pushing their point.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Public road. Option of behaving out there too. The same nonsense gets said about speed cameras.
Speed cameras don't follow you along the road and then tap on your window and start a row. Whatever way you see it, most people object to being filmed without prior permission.

400bhp

Guru

Genuine question - why should we, or why should I?

classic33

Leg End Member
What about CCTV, that follows you from street to street. Often done without any legally required warning signs. You can't escape them, when they're in operation!

400bhp

Guru
A lot of people don't like it Classic and I get that (it's not a particularly big issue for me). Pick your nose and someone is watching you and sniggering to his mates or whatever.

crazyjoe101

I'm not questioning your objectives in life, I just see cameras on bikes as spying. Simple!

I wouldn't go that far as if you're on a road you're in plain public view, it's not as though the camera allows it's user to see more than they otherwise would, it just means more people can see what the cammer saw at the time.

Speed cameras don't follow you along the road and then tap on your window and start a row. Whatever way you see it, most people object to being filmed without prior permission.

Neither do helmet cameras, just some cyclists who wear helmet cameras. And yes, I wouldn't be particularly happy at being filmed by a stranger and having my image uploaded to YouTube, but when people behave irresponsively I don't really have much sympathy when they're exposed to a wider audience, this goes for both the subject of the video and the person who made it.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Genuine question - why should we, or why should I?
Because there are health epidemics and we can offer solutions. £10bn lost each year in the NHS to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Cancers can also have their risks reduced.

Because up to £36 billion is lost to the economy and the tax payer due to road collision. Less private motors used for local journeys means less risk of that happening.

Because air pollution still damages our health and our nature. It also interferes with out livestock and our farm produce. A bicycle, post production, produces no air pollution or CO2. 80% of all harmful air pollutants come from motor traffic.

Because parking is a real issue for councils and business, and traffic congestion is interfering with business.

We all have a responsibility to promote cycling and its benefits as we all have a responsibility to society whether we sit on the right, centre or left of the political spectrum. The motoring lobby is strong because in the main motorists support it, cyclists have to take some inspiration from certain aspects of how that has worked.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

You're talking about a select few cammers on youtube. Many cyclists don't upload. They keep the camera for an emergency witness situation, an insurance policy. Most drivers I've spoken to actually agree with me that the camera is a good idea - it also would show if I had caused an incident, dont forget. Many drivers have contacted me over the years to ask how they too can protect themselves with cameras. Two were HGV drivers.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have no responsibility whatsoever to promote cycling.
You dont realise how tenuous a grip cycling has, then. You also have no right to complain when cycling infrastructure or road conditions dont meet your expectations. Same as non-voters have less right to complain about political parties when they didn't bother voting or standing/fighting for an independent

Top Bottom