Wordle with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
How do you know this?
I said there are only six possible answers if my first two lines eliminate all the vowels, the five consonants eliminated also significantly reduce the number of five letter no vowel words to choose from, there are six I think are common enough to give most people a chance, for example "pygmy." I'll happily admit there are others but they are so obscure only dedicated Scrabble players are likely to know them. As an example of an obscure Scrabble word if "xylyl" is ever thrown at us there will be complete and total uproar! :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Once again, I had a different word to most of you yesterday. I haven't had "HOMER" at all.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like many I was only missing THAT one letter.
My previous neighbour kept racing pigeons but I don't ever recall him using the word homer.

Willd

Veteran
I said there are only six possible answers if my first two lines eliminate all the vowels, the five consonants eliminated also significantly reduce the number of five letter no vowel words to choose from, there are six I think are common enough to give most people a chance, for example "pygmy." I'll happily admit there are others but they are so obscure only dedicated Scrabble players are likely to know them. As an example of an obscure Scrabble word if "xylyl" is ever thrown at us there will be complete and total uproar! :laugh:
I'm still waiting for TEEPE, TATTY or OVOLO to come up ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just try it and if it's not a legit word it'll reject it and you can have another go.

winjim

Smash the cistern

I did try 'azide' once when the answer was the more widely recognised 'oxide'. I'd be happy with 'xylyl'.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sometimes I play WordHurdle which has 4, 5 and 6 letter challenges plus the Phrazle phrase game.

I was very surprised to find "gimp" was the answer to a recent game. I find this a deeply offensive word, or the way it is often used is, and given these are American puzzles and their often ridiculous sensitivity and correctness I'm surprised it was used.

An observation not a complaint.

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Sometimes I play WordHurdle which has 4, 5 and 6 letter challenges plus the Phrazle phrase game.

I was very surprised to find "gimp" was the answer to a recent game. I find this a deeply offensive word, or the way it is often used is, and given these are American puzzles and their often ridiculous sensitivity and correctness I'm surprised it was used.

I guess they were meaning this definition?

Screenshot_20220508-084816.png

Alex321

Veteran

There are a few meanings of the word, and the offensive one has generally been obsolete for quite a few years now. It won't be the first meaning given in any dictionary.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There are a few meanings of the word, and the offensive one has generally been obsolete for quite a few years now. It won't be the first meaning given in any dictionary.

Yes, I've found those but obviously never heard them, only ever come across the offensive use which I think I first heard in "Forest Gump." That tends to suggest I see it much more offensive than the vast majority.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes, I've found those but obviously never heard them, only ever come across the offensive use which I think I first heard in "Forest Gump." That tends to suggest I see it much more offensive than the vast majority.

I think most of us would see it as offensive as you do when used in that context.

The difference is that many of us don't automatically think of that context when we see the word, so don't see the word itself as offensive.

Top Bottom