Wordle with SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's in virtually all dictionaries darling😂

I know! :sad::sad:.......................but I still don't think it's a word.......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Proto

Legendary Member
Took me longer than it should have

Wordle 609 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟨⬛
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Has anyone got any tips for doing wordle?

I always start off with the same 3 words as they are all different letters. The idea is to find the 5 letters that makes up the word. This works providing the same letter is not repeated.

Screenshot_20230304_070108_Samsung Internet.jpg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

I always start off with the same 3 words as they are all different letters. The idea is to find the 5 letters that makes up the word. This works providing the same letter is not repeated.

View attachment 680239

You will never solve it in fewer than 4 guesses using that method and the aim is to do it in fewest goes.
Most people pluck a starting word and follow the clues.
I got lucky this morning with my starter word. Ultimately it comes down to luck for some words.
When doing quordle I will use a similar method to you as you have to cover more than one word option at once. So my opening two words are always RATIO and FEUDS.
These two words cover off all vowels and some popular consonants.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

View attachment 680239

No, better off with a starter word covering very common letters and then working from there with what you have.

Only occasionally is it useful to use a subsequent elemination word if you have one missing letter and 3 or 4 choices, you play a word with most of the choice letters in it if you can.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I always start with AUDIO - it covers most of the vowels and if none turn up you pretty much know there an E in there. Apparently AUDIO and ADIEU are amongst the most common starter words.

Got it in 3 today.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Let's not assume that everyone has the same objective. You might be trying to solve as quickly as possible, in which case playing three starter words with 15 different letters is a good strategy. For a long time I played that way, pausing for a moment between turns in case I could see something developing, so I did get some 2s and 3s. Often the answer was immediately apparent by round 4 and I would be finished in well under a minute - handy if I was trying to post my result with the clock still on 00.00. But I did get quite a high proportion of 5s.

I had the method refined so that none of the four most common vowels were in the middle of any of the first three words. So if I could see nothing after three I could play a fourth starter words bringing in 4 new consonants with whichever vowel was most useful to put in the middle.

This method is certainly very quick, and always felt "safe". Whether the likely failure rate is lower than other methods I don't know, but certainly there were days where I solved easily in 4 or 5 when there was much gnashing of teeth elsewhere!

As most will know, there's a site called Wordhurdle where there are twice-daily 4, 5 and 6 letter wordle-style games. With 4 columns you can't get the letters out so quickly, and I found that a starting sequence such as BENT, SLOG, DAMP, RICH frequently left too much to find in the remaining two rounds. The method I settled on for rounds 2 and 3 was to ignore any greens (actually blues in Wordhurdle) and attempt to place any ambers. After a while I adopted this approach for classic Wordle, and it works well. More often than not I find I can make a realistic attempt to solve on round three, and I'm getting many more 3s than 5s.

Alternatively you might want to maximise your chance of getting a 2. Playing something like sixty-fourdle, if you want to get a 65 this is what you need to do. I very much doubt whether ADIEU or AUDIO are the best choices here. For months I've been using a word with Y* at the end - any of the 64 which have the Y somewhere else give a reasonable chance of a 2 whilst also deploying new letters. I have a theory, which I haven't really tested yet, that a starter containing R and S could work well, since they're often found in the same word but tend not to sit well side by side. These are my thoughts.

* On standard Wordle I once solved TRYST in 2, with fair confidence that it would be right.

Proto

Legendary Member
Am i the only one playing in 'hard mode'?

It does make using elimation words difficult. If your first word choice reveals any of the the correct letters, they mst be used in your next word. Further, if one of those correct letters is in the correct place then it cannot be moved for subsequent attempts. Makes the game a little more challenging.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Covering lots of vowels with your starter word is good (audio etc). But I find it handy to cover common consonants s,t,r too. So it's a balancing act.

@Proto I use hard mode too. I actually find it a bit easier as it reminds me if I accidentally try to reuse an eliminated letter. I also play to a private rule that I'm not allowed to re-try a possible letter in an eliminated position although I sometimes break that by mistake. This means no eliminators for me.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
This is exactly what I was on about. Anyone daft enough to be reading this thread before attempting the Wordle would know that the word has an anagram with all letters in different positions, which narrows down the options significantly.

I bet no one got four greens today either - if you took the time to analyse other people’s feedback carefully, that could be useful info.

Neither of the words you gave as possible answers in your spoiler would have given 5 yellow squares, given that one of the letters was in the correct place (first letter). The only anagram I can come up with that fits the bill is DECOR, which I assume is what @glasgowcyclist had. And until today I never heard of CREDO... Took me a 5 today (I CBA'd posting in the other thread, the novelty wore off some months ago).

Top Bottom