Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The NHS guide aims for a reading age of 9-11 years.
When my wife was a teacher she often got letters from parents " please excuse Johnny for not being at school yesterday. He had dirre, diarhee, skitters"

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not a word,but an annoying phrase. I'm just listening to the radio and i've heard "She had a fall". It seems to be the case that if you're over 60 years old it's a patronising 'had a fall',but under that age it's 'they/he/she fell over.🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The word(s) admits/admitted doesn't annoy me. What does is how it's so over used by/in the media these days. Yesterday i heard two news reports where they used admits when said would've been be more appropriate. In one of the reports i heard 'He admitted he'd had a good career'. Surely you admit to facts,not opinions and statements? Having a good career is an opinion,not a fact.🧐

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
The word "Super" when tied in with super fast, super hard, super tasty, etc etc, bl**dy annoying lazy use of language

Dave7

Legendary Member
The word(s) admits/admitted doesn't annoy me. What does is how it's so over used by/in the media these days. Yesterday i heard two news reports where they used admits when said would've been be more appropriate. In one of the reports i heard 'He admitted he'd had a good career'. Surely you admit to facts,not opinions and statements? Having a good career is an opinion,not a fact.🧐
Yes.....that's one that annoys me.
Don't know when it crept it but it's widely used now, especially in reporting football.
To me, you "admit" to something that is below expected standard ....not when its above.

Top Bottom