Words that annoy me for no particular reason.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
"Going forward"
I'm not sure why it gets me, maybe because it gets used as a catch all phrase for ok lets just move on and forget the cock up...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'crepery'....Just heard 'i went to my local crepery', on the radio.How fecking poncy is that?!! Some bakers/cafe that makes and sells the things calls itself a crepery ffs!!🧐
'croissant'..
'pain au chocola'
All poncy French words i just do not like!!🧐

Grown up people saying "REALLY?" like a teenager. REALLY? I mean REALLY?
One of my esteemed colleagues does this at the drop of a hat. He's a 1-man patronising arrogance machine, winds everyone up without realising it, thinks he's everyone's mate due to his immense charm. Also one of the highest paid staff here :rollseyes:

[Glad I got that off my chest, thanks @Teamfixed ! ]

RichardB

Slightly retro
Toys 'R' Us used to annoy me. In fact, any business that uses incorrect langaue. There's a takeaway near me called "Snax-4-U" I would not buy anything from there

You wouldn't be interested in a purchase from Spud-U-Like, then?

"Going forward"
I'm not sure why it gets me, maybe because it gets used as a catch all phrase for ok lets just move on and forget the cock up...

I counter this in meetings by asking if the speaker has any policy going backward. I mean, time goes forward, unstoppably. Everything is 'going forward'. We have no choice.

'crepery'....Just heard 'i went to my local crepery', on the radio.How fecking poncy is that?!! Some bakers/cafe that makes and sells the things calls itself a crepery ffs!!🧐
'croissant'..
'pain au chocola'
All poncy French words i just do not like!!🧐

I've just had a pain au chocolat given to me at work. I am happy to forgive the French anything now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just had a pain au chocolat given to me at work. I am happy to forgive the French anything now.
I simply refuse to say that/those word(s)! I must admit they are quite nice. Nothing to shout about,but just nice. I once bought one in a confectioners. I just couldn't bring myself to say 'Pain au chocolat. If i remember rightly i said something like "Oh and i'll have one of those poncy French things please"!:laugh:

Only joking.:smile: I said "I'll have one of those chocolaty things please". The lady serving said "Do you mean Pain au chocolat"? It's as if she was forcing me to say it!:dry: I replied "Yes,whatever".:whistle:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I simply refuse to say that/those word(s)! I must admit they are quite nice. Nothing to shout about,but just nice. I once bought one in a confectioners. I just couldn't bring myself to say 'Pain au chocolat. If i remember rightly i said something like "Oh and i'll have one of those poncy French things please"!:laugh:

Only joking.:smile: I said "I'll have one of those chocolaty things please". The lady serving said "Do you mean Pain au chocolat"? It's as if she was forcing me to say it!:dry: I replied "Yes,whatever".:whistle:

Philistine! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
ha-ha! You won't be stopping me using that one, sorry. (I could write it out a hundred times on this thread if you like).

Wow it never occurred to me that I should try to avoid using any of these expressions.

If anything, I'm storing up a cache of the 'most' annoying ones, all ready to deploy when needed... :rolleyes:

Now, Where's my pain au chocolat ?? :tongue:

Wow it never occurred to me that I should try to avoid using any of these expressions.

If anything, I'm storing up a cache of the 'most' annoying ones, all ready to deploy when needed... :rolleyes:

Now, Where's my pain au chocolat ?? :tongue:
So, I was, like, reading through this thread and I thought “REALLY?” She doesn’t know where her pain au chocolate is? REALLY!! I mean, obviously, it’s in her tummy...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
An example of the creeping Americanisation of English. This year, I have heard several younger people refer to 'fall' rather than autumn. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but with the explosion of digital media the use of American English is now unstoppable. I'd be prepared to bet that in 50 years' time it will take an expert to distinguish between an American and a British native speaker.

Hmmn I wouldn't be so sure, maybe in terms of written English perhaps

But we are pretty good at hanging on to our accents, and regional language differences. Even on this crammed together, tiny island.

All around the UK there are people whose spoken English I struggle to grasp - even in the west country where I grew up.

Long may it continue.

Top Bottom