Work ‘personal goals’ - Stretch target....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My 'stretch' target would have meant trying to get back into the role I left. Which I don't want to do - I got my life back.

I had years of all that corporate Bollocks, three letter acronyms, HR speak, completely unreasonable bosses. It’s a like a religious cult, you don’t realise how damaging it is until you get out of it.

My ‘stretch’ target is to go down to four days week at the end of this year and pack it in when I’m 60 in four years time. Problem is, I quite like my current job, probably because it’s not ‘stretching’!

mikeIow

Guru
Ahhhh, ‘stretch goals’......the utter BS of Corporate Appraisals.....with only 40 work days left, I’ll really miss those, along with MBOs and KPIs :laugh:

To be fair, my immediate boss (& the one before him) also treats it very firmly with the distain it deserves.....he’s planning his own escape in the next 12 months too!

Outside of that, I *will* miss a fair number of the people I work with, across the globe. Fully intend keeping in electronic touch with a good few of them: travel will return, & beers will be shared in some future once again :okay:

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I used to work for a company whose appraisal and reward had 5 elements, each element worth 5 points. Your total score out of 25 was then run through a complex algorithm of bollox and a score out of 5 achieved. 2 or below was deemed insufficient and meant no payrise, or worse.
3 meant a cost of living payrise. 4 meant a cost of living payrise plus 2% (often worth it). 5 meant you were destined for greatness and cost of living plus 3% (!!) payrise.

The parameters were sales performance, admin performance, random customer feedback, career potential and willingness to relocate.

For a few years I scored 4.5, 4.5, 5, 4, and then we came to relocating........ I would not wish for anyone to have to relocate to High Wycombe. So I would always say no, I am not going to High Wycombe which meant a score of 1, and because of the weighting applied to the relocating domain, I would come out as a 3. For two years I was their top trainer and sales rep in the UK, won numerous awards and jollies, but for every year I was there I got a 3. What a crock of 5hite.

Gunk

Guru
I used to work for a company whose appraisal and reward had 5 elements, each element worth 5 points. Your total score out of 25 was then run through a complex algorithm of bollox and a score out of 5 achieved. 2 or below was deemed insufficient and meant no payrise, or worse.
3 meant a cost of living payrise. 4 meant a cost of living payrise plus 2% (often worth it). 5 meant you were destined for greatness and cost of living plus 3% (!!) payrise.

The parameters were sales performance, admin performance, random customer feedback, career potential and willingness to relocate.

For a few years I scored 4.5, 4.5, 5, 4, and then we came to relocating........ I would not wish for anyone to have to relocate to High Wycombe. So I would always say no, I am not going to High Wycombe which meant a score of 1, and because of the weighting applied to the relocating domain, I would come out as a 3. For two years I was their top trainer and sales rep in the UK, won numerous awards and jollies, but for every year I was there I got a 3. What a crock of 5hite.

Many years ago I was an area director for a national building society and we had a similar appraisal/salary review structure, as you so eloquently put it, a croc of shite.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
hr: we hire, we fire. we need to find something to do in the middle…

Dave7

Legendary Member
Before going on my own I worked for a big outfit (owned by Shell). As part of the sales team our 'next years' targets were something like......8% more than this year to earn any bonus. Fail that and you were on basic.
Near the end I won a BIG order. Fine, I got a good bonus BUT next years target was, yes, 8% more. I tried explaining that it was impossible but to no avail.
Anyway, the company got sold and I went on my own.
Best decision ever.
Not boasting but 1996......1st year on my own, doing the same thing, I earned £90K+.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My boss asked me in my appraisal if I was still looking at career progression and I said the thought of nearly doubling my hours for an extra 30%, sending emails at midnight and never seeing my kids didn't really appeal.

You missed out adding years of ill health and an early death for an extra 30%. The stresses careerists put on themselves are not to be underestimated.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You missed out adding years of ill health and an early death for an extra 30%. The stresses careerists put on themselves are not to be underestimated.
A couple of years before leaving, I was on an export trip with my MD. He told me that he was moving up to the main board and he had put me forward to replace him. I didn't need to think, I just turned it down.
No way did I want his hours or stress.......they could never have paid me enough for that.

Top Bottom