Work/Other Christmas Doo's - The madness starts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The first ever works do I attended was a lunch time occasion. I was driving, so I didn’t drink.
I witnessed one bloke called Barry get absolutely wasted. Lewd, suggestive remarks to waitresses, sweary etc...
I never have drunk at a works do. I’ve seen some sights though over the years.

Now I work for myself I might go for a cheeky little pint.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had my second Christmas party yesterday. My brother and his partner bought me a Sønderjyske Christmas jumper as an advent gift in the hope I hated it :laugh::laugh:. I love it but Jannie is not so keen

. ^_^

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm reconsidering the drinks and food that are in week before Christmas as I'm planning to be on leave, and it means I'm clear of everyone. We've got a big family Christmas Dinner planned.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just one do for me, work colleagues on the 10th. Only our local office so just 7 of us. The most exciting part for me is Xmas day we are hosting for the first time. Parents and sister's family are coming to us. Giving my mum a break after 40+ years of her doing it! She's still insisted on buying and cooking the turkey which she'll bring with her!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
You can pick your friends but, unless you're the gaffer, it's very difficult to pick your work mates. I've had lots who I wouldn't be seen dead with so avoided works do's.

That's not a problem now I've retired. Me Mrs. jg have booked dinner at a place in Durham which would have been part of a pub crawl but having a rethink after latest plague variant has arrived.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My first work's do in years and years is next Friday with the new company. We're only a small team and, as we are all peripatetic and only work in pairs, it'll be nice to see everyone together (those that can attend). It's not a party, but a meal at a restaurant followed by drinks (probably elsewhere) for those that want them. I don't drink so we'll see how things go. Being a teetotaller amongst a group of people drinking more and more can become wearisome after a while - it depends on how much people drink and how it affects them.

Being a teetotaller amongst a group of people drinking more and more can become wearisome after a while - it depends on how much people drink and how it affects them.

Exactly this. Which is why I generally avoid such. I am far happier socializing when it's tea and a nice selection of cakes. :blush:

I've always maintained that if you have to socialize with more than one or two drinks (i.e. get bladdered) it says a lot about the sort of company you keep / have to keep.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Being a teetotaller amongst a group of people drinking more and more can become wearisome after a while - it depends on how much people drink and how it affects them.

As a non drinker myself, I used to find that a tremendous advantage. The secrets you can pump out of people by lending a sympathetic ear and asking some caring but probing questions are astounding...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As a non drinker myself, I used to find that a tremendous advantage. The secrets you can pump out of people by lending a sympathetic ear and asking some caring but probing questions are astounding...
🤔:whistle::biggrin:

Due to Covid management have decided no big Xmas parties, each line manager is to just take their teams out for a lunch. My team is small (5) and the bosses wife is very ill and he has 2 kids to look after, one disabled, so we have decided amongst us to bin it for this year.
Instead we can expense a dinner with our partner to the company.(monetary limit not yet anounced .
However I have 3 different Xmas dances to go with, my other hobby is Latin/ballroom and I have 3 different dances to go to with groups I have a association with.
Ballroom Latin dance, dances means everyone is well dressed and no one seems to get drunk out of their skulls. Also most attendees are let me say, very mature in age , so tends to be quite gentile.
I had invites to 2 cycle club Parties but as I have not cycled with either club for over a year I would feel a bit of a fraud turning up.

I'm retired, so thankfully there is no works Christmas bash to go to.

We have the uke club Christmas meal on Tuesday. The pub does good food, and it's plentiful, so I shall have to choose light meals for the next couple of days, to leave some room...

The other uke club don't have a formal Xmas bash, but we shall convene at the brewery (who support our activities!) next Saturday to play a few songs and sample their special Christmas ale. There might even be mince pies.

Alex321

Veteran
No company wide party this year, but each department having a meal, paid for by the company. Ours is next Wednesday - getting in before it gets too crowded. Most will probably go for drinks afterwards, if I do it will just be one as I'll probablybe cycling home afterwards (and if not, I'll be driving, so not even one).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The last Christmas 'works do' I went on was about 30 years ago when the former Mrs Accy worked at Boots chemist. The worst moment of the night was when the gob with the microphone shoved it into my face and asked me to sing!:headshake:

Top Bottom