Work pond project

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by meta lon, 16 May 2018.

1. meta lon

meta lon Guru

IMG_20180515_141837.jpg IMG_20180515_141559.jpg IMG_20180515_141545.jpg Some of the staff and residents asked if i could build a wildlife pond in the grounds.

Manager said ok but very little funds available,so if you can do it for under £250 ? Then ok.
    So I've made a start.
    I think I can make something nice in this area with the budget ,I'll just need to be sensible, brick edging and some slate ,pond liner and a few plants for now .
    Then add rocks and knomes later ;).

I'll add progress pics as I go.
    Start of dig ,150 mm of soil and then it's very hard compacted sub base ,bricks and a load of crushed rubble and ballast Nice.
    So I've brought my breaker in today to help loosen this. I used it for years to break concrete drives and paths,but it's great with a tarmac cutter fitted for loosening hard ground especially after a long dry spell.

Photos loaded at the top ..grr

Fnaar, Dayvo, Katherine and 10 others like this.
  2. Drago

Drago Guru

Looks like an alien spacecraft landed there.

slowwww, raleighnut and meta lon like this.
  3. Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie Guru

That's a great project, it'll look fab, and the wildlife will thank you.

meta lon likes this.
  4. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

Just one concern. You say 'staff and residents', what kind of establishment is this and does the pond need any safety precautions to prevent any vulnerable/less capable residents falling in and coming to harm?

You might also want to cut a few discreet holes in the bottom of the fence (9"x9" should do it) to let any 'wildlife' to pass through. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that the tightly fenced garden network that is so common nowadays is a huge problem to wildlife.

5. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

health & Saftey
    I got a large rubber ring at the ready when we started to fill ours, we diddn't need it in the end but it was reassuring that it was there.
    pondfill1_6990.JPG

6. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

You've got lots more digging to do. It should be about 3 feet deep.

q54B17e.jpg

4JybRZh.jpg

Last edited: 16 May 2018
    Mugshot, postman, raleighnut and 3 others like this.
  7. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

@meta lon i hope the local Heron's dont use the whirly gig as a landing post

meta lon and Dave7 like this.
  8. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Veteran

It's not very deep, if you fill that with water it'll just be like a big puddle!:smile:

meta lon and postman like this.
  9. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

You have one of the basics very wrong.
    You need a gnome now.....not when its established
    He has to get settled in and be there to welcome the wildlife.

Is there a hose nearby? Its amazing (and annoying) how quickly it evaporates in summer.
    Have you got electrics for a basic pump.......just to help oxygenate it.

User259 likes this.
  10. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

My parents asked me to dig a pond one summer holiday, but they were a bit sketchy about what size they wanted it - my instructions were to dig a pond-sized hole where the old greenhouse had been. When they came in from work I'd dug a hole roughly 6 foot wide, 10 feet long and about 5 1/2 foot deep in the middle where I'd tried to get to the water table.

11. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

[QUOTE 5245518, member: 259"]You really don't need a pump if it's enouigh volume of water. We have a biggish pond which is full of fish and newts and the odd grass snake, and it's fine. We never put the fish in there, but apparently the eggs arrive on herons' feet. And the herons do an impressive job in keeping their numbers down as well.[/QUOTE]
    True.......that is why I said "helps oxygenate".
    Didnt realise that about how fish eggs can get there.

Saluki likes this.
  12. Piemaster

Piemaster Guru

I was more thinking "one step too far back while hanging out the washing..."

13. OP
    OP
    meta lon

meta lon Guru

It's a wildlife pond Not fish.
    I'll put a little chain fence up .

This pond is tucked away so not really a danger to our residents.
    The grounds are quite large and have picket fences and open areas @I like Skol so no prob for wildlife.

It will be about 450-500 mm deep so just enough for frogs newts and plants.
    If any small fish move in they may or may not survive.

My own pond is the same and that seems to work fine oxygenating wise,just needs the right plants

14. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

we had a small pond at the front that was only about 18" deep and it worked OK. The one at the back (pic above) is 32" deep. We have vast numbers of frogs, and at the moment there is large shawls of tadpoles.

meta lon likes this.
  15. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Looking good...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice