Work pond project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Me too. A couple of years ago I bought a very heavy stone trough, which I collected in my van. The guys loaded it up with a forklift and I drove home. It then sat in the back of the van for three weeks whilst I worked out how to get it out. After some inspiration, I got up early one Sunday and got it out of the van onto some pallets. I then had to move it about fifteen yards, up a small wall and into position. This took a total of EIGHT months, using a combination of car jacks, wooden chocks and rollers. Managed it all on my own though.
A year later I moved house and had to leave it there.

I have a similar problem now, inasmuch as I bought a large granite slab last Wednesday and it's still in my van whilst I work out how to get it out, round the back of the house and into position. It's for a table I'm making. At my usual rate of work some time next year is looking likely.

That made me chuckle ..nowt worse than rushing!!

I do tend to only have one speed at work ,well nearly everything to be honest.

Brains

Legendary Member
Me too. A couple of years ago I bought a very heavy stone trough, which I collected in my van. The guys loaded it up with a forklift and I drove home. It then sat in the back of the van for three weeks whilst I worked out how to get it out. After some inspiration, I got up early one Sunday and got it out of the van onto some pallets. I then had to move it about fifteen yards, up a small wall and into position. This took a total of EIGHT months, using a combination of car jacks, wooden chocks and rollers. Managed it all on my own though.
A year later I moved house and had to leave it there.

I have a similar problem now, inasmuch as I bought a large granite slab last Wednesday and it's still in my van whilst I work out how to get it out, round the back of the house and into position. It's for a table I'm making. At my usual rate of work some time next year is looking likely.

Simples!
Attach rope to slab
Attach rope to handy immovable object
Drive van slowly forward
Sorted!

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I had this problem when I bought a lathe on EBay. The lathe bed is around 250 Kgs.
Got it out of the vehicle using an engine hoist and lowered it onto a pair of smooth oiled planks. Tied a rope onto the bed and dragged it along the planks. Surprising how easily it moved. Using four planks I dragged it to the back of my property to my workshop. Next I had a 20 degree slop to tackle. Wooden beam across the bottom of the doorway and a block and tackle pulled the bed up the slope. Moved the beam to another doorway inside the workshop got the bed inside, the engine hoist again to mount the bed onto the base.
Love it when a plan comes together :becool:

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5251843, member: 9609"]So how did you repair the hole in the centre of the pond ?
presumably to get the perfect circle of edging stones you would have need knock a stake into the centre and tied a length of string to it.[/QUOTE]

It's an oval and I did it all by eye.
30 years of paving and block paving has its merits.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Getting very near now.
I'll get a few small fish and some more oxygenation plants asap.

Going to use some of the old tree branches from the 3 trees we had taken down last year to edge the slate.
Then I'm about done for now.

IMG_20180522_155605.jpg
IMG_20180522_155554.jpg

IMG_20180522_155529.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
That's excellent, and you did it on a tiny budget. The really fun part is getting the plants in and timing how long before things start colonizing it. Well done.

Its gone up to £400 as of now as I've been allocated £500 :smile:
I put £70 in plants in today.

Fence will be £50 ish ,but its been well received and will provide a very nice relaxing area for my residents and other staff to sit and enjoy.

Milzy

Guru
Good work without spending silly money.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5252728, member: 45"]What are those edging blocks[/QUOTE]

Woburn rumbled 200×134 x50mm block paving.
Fossil Mint , there around £20 m2 37 per m2

Top Bottom