Work pond project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
[QUOTE 5245800, member: 9609"]And can you do that, just build up the earth round the bottom of a tree ?[/QUOTE]
It's not best practice. The tree's roots need oxygen, and new soil of any significant depth over the root-ball will limit this. The tree will get stressed and could fail. If you can, clear back a ring of at least 18" all the way round the tree to the original nursery collar, or at least ensure the spread soil is not compacted and less than 3" in depth

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
All the trees have a bit of soil around them.
The soil is barely more that 2-4 inch all over the site.

So I'm not too concerned.
If you notice in my first pics the tree has not altered soil wise as it had a mound at the bottom.

MikeG

Guru
If that's going to be a wildlife pond, it should have at least one part of it with gently sloped sides so that smaller creatures can walk in and out. With near vertical sides as it has now, you face the danger of drowning some animals.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
If that's going to be a wildlife pond, it should have at least one part of it with gently sloped sides so that smaller creatures can walk in and out. With near vertical sides as it has now, you face the danger of drowning some animals.

ill do that when i get the liner..sand to shape it.
And ill submerge a few rocks as i have with my pond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oooh.....power tool :smile:

I have a pick axe phobia ;)

I ache a bit today, been 2 years since i used a breaker and did any real digging.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a pick axe phobia ;)

Me too. On one job I managed to belt myself in back of the head causing a superficial bloodbath in my client’s garden. Her 5 year old son went hysterical and nearly passed out. Eyes rolling in his head and everything. I was fine. Just a bit damp and the strong smell of blood always takes me by surprise.

Lucky it was a sandy, free draining soil.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Getting there ,I love filling a new pond

IMG_20180517_124619.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
[QUOTE 5251329, member: 9609"]you're a quick worker, I would have arsed about for weeks to do that.[/QUOTE]
Me too. A couple of years ago I bought a very heavy stone trough, which I collected in my van. The guys loaded it up with a forklift and I drove home. It then sat in the back of the van for three weeks whilst I worked out how to get it out. After some inspiration, I got up early one Sunday and got it out of the van onto some pallets. I then had to move it about fifteen yards, up a small wall and into position. This took a total of EIGHT months, using a combination of car jacks, wooden chocks and rollers. Managed it all on my own though.
A year later I moved house and had to leave it there.

I have a similar problem now, inasmuch as I bought a large granite slab last Wednesday and it's still in my van whilst I work out how to get it out, round the back of the house and into position. It's for a table I'm making. At my usual rate of work some time next year is looking likely.

Top Bottom