Working for deliveroo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
OP, you are probably breaching several company policies by naming the company and saying what it's like to work there. Be careful if you want to keep your job.

vickster

Legendary Member
Still a member of British Cycling. I believe they cover you even while working.

Some deliveroo riders are extremely lucky they haven't crashed yet. Some are genuinely good. But certainly not all.

We don't have a max delivery time, so why take risks?
Are you taking action against the driver therefore? Or did you not seek medical attention? You do have 3 years so if you keep evidence of the damage to you and the bike, see what BCs lawyers say

Ts & Cs suggest you won't be covered as you were working as a 'courier' at the time

Last edited:
OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
OP, you are probably breaching several company policies by naming the company and saying what it's like to work there. Be careful if you want to keep your job.

Honestly, I'm just stating the facts. Nothing more than what I've already said to them when they have contacted me for feedback.

Belive it or not, despite the bad points, I enjoy my job, and I'd recommend it to any of you!

Now considering the company's reputation in the media, it's pretty obvious what the riders think, but we still work. Deliveroo has has a £100m investment. Which is nothing without us, the riders.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Can you pick and choose your working days. Lets say yii only wanted to work Friday / Sat evenings?

Yep, fully flexible. I just turn up and sign in to the app. They allocate me a delivery. Honestly, it's superb for flexibility!

alicat

Legendary Member
OP, I'm sure you are just stating the facts but some companies get funny about that sort of thing and I'd hate you to be out of a job as a result.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
OP, I'm sure you are just stating the facts but some companies get funny about that sort of thing and I'd hate you to be out of a job as a result.

Honestly, if they chucked me overboard, I'd just move on. It'd be a shame but not the end of the world!

Deliveroo is a great company to work for, if you accept their shortcomings and I'd recommend it to any of you. Hence why I've given a link to sign up. If any of the management is reading this - then please think, isnt everybody saying this before referring people?

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Interesting thread.

MrsP has a work colleague that does Delivroo, for fun, says he enjoys it and keeps him fit, he doesn't need the money!

I was driving in London last Monday about 9pm it was dark, near Euston station and as I approached a t junction a delivery rider rode across not a single light on his bike.

Do Deliveroo have any checks and measures about the road worthiness of your bikes?
Right at the start.

They're pretty strict actually. However if you don't maintain your bike, they probably won't notice. Shame really, Deliveroo make a great effort in the starting kit, giving free lights and other things!

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Let me think. £200k a year, one month on, one month off, doing security on ships in the Indian ocean, or bust my balls for sweetie money with Deliveroo?

Or 220k a year, 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off as a pilot in China.

Just need to get there!

cubey

Über Member
Social media policy of large organisations usually refers to, "Comments likely to damage the companies reputation" will not be tolerated, be careful.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We don't have a max delivery time, so why take risks?
Is this a serious question? Paid per drop means less time means more drops means more money means they're basically encouraging their riders to go faster and let everyone else (and the NHS) pick up the pieces when they go beyond what's safe - it's the exact same problem as some commercial motorised deliveries.

They may use the fact that you were working at the time of any incident, to say you weren't covered.
It looks like the usual three cycling TP insurances don't cover it and you'd need to get a cycle courier policy:

Brutish Cycling "Who and what is not covered?... Occupational cycling and where the bike is a tool of trade."

CUK "you are covered for commuting to work and you are also covered for cycling to and from business addresses, but not for work as a cyclist e.g. as a courier or professional racing cyclist"

LCC "You are insured while you are using your cycle for private and professional purposes including business cycling, but not if you are specifically employed as a cyclist e.g. as a cyclist-messenger, a cycling trainer or a courier cyclist."

Social media policy of large organisations usually refers to, "Comments likely to damage the companies reputation" will not be tolerated, be careful.
That may why the OP didn't explicitly mention the famous "Slaveroo" nickname and hashtag.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

The OP is not an employee, heck the OP isn't even a worker. So it's pretty much an academic discussion. I appreciate that there are people looking out for him though, but the reality is the OP has virtually no rights.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
The OP is not an employee, heck the OP isn't even a worker. So it's pretty much an academic discussion. I appreciate that there are people looking out for him though, but the reality is the OP has virtually no rights.

Hit the nail on the head!

I'm self employed... Technically.

Top Bottom