Working for deliveroo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L14M

Über Member
Hey Guys and Girls!

It's been a hella while since i've posted on here, but thought i'd shed some light on what it's like working for deliveroo for any of you who have been thinking about doing it. Now I want to make it explicitely clear that I am in no way plugging deliveroo (as it's a pretty crap company to work for, conditions and security wise). But I am currently a student using it as a lifeline. I do however get a bonus for referring any of you, and you also get a £50 bonus for being referred as an incentive! (See the link at the bottom - once you've actually understood it's downsides)

Going to be completely honest - i'm fairly broke at the moment paying my way through my commercial pilot course. There is only so much I can put on a bank loan. So i'm forced to ride for deliveroo. I'm on £3.75 per delivery, it's alright. At peak times, averaging 4 deliveries an hour, not including tips = at least £15 per hour. Plus the maintenance of your bike. The money is decent for the work you do, usually. Otherwise if you're in a quiet zone, you get an hourly rate. £6 or 7 per hour plus £1 per delivery. Considering you could just sit and watch the world go by, if there was no deliveries, it's not too shabby. The people you meet are also pretty damn nice.

The gear you get given is pretty damn good. Honestly, i've tested this stuff in the worst of conditions. The jacket is very, very, very waterproof, windproof and yet not too warm. It's the best quality cycling jacket i've ever had. Plus it's got a good amount of reflective area. The bag - well, i'm not going to lie. You do and will look like a Knob with it. But if you correctly adjust and load it, (C.g being as close to your back as possible) it's actually pretty decent.

Now the bad part, Weather. You need to work no matter what. Once you've accepted a delivery, you must finish it, unless it's exceptional circumstances and you need another rider to take over the delivery. NO garuenteed pay. It's pretty annoying doing a 5 hour shift and getting the same pay as if you had a really good 2 hour shift. But that's the nature of the job. If you're willing to work peak times, you can earn a killing. Especially if it's a bonus day (when the weather is poor and they offer something like a £15 bonus for 10 deliveries).

Likewise, I was knocked off a few months back, through no fault of mine, but a left hook. Details swapped. Ah well, smack happens, I'm young and made of magic and rubber, so I finished the delivery. It was only after that I realised the adrenaline had kept me going, I had slit my face, cracked helmet and a huge bruise. Oh and a slightly damaged bikes (RIP my shifters). Deliveroo honestly did not give a ****. They were made aware of the crash. No follow up call when I hadn't been working for a few weeks, nothing. But that's what this company is like.

They also occasionally screw your pay up, forcing you to chase down the Philippeno call center operators until they correct it!

So the summary:

If you need extra dosh, don't like working in an office or having a line manager etc it's the best thing ever! Being paid good money (for an unskilled job), keeping fit, being out doors and stuff it's awesome. Put up with the crap and it's a very chilled out job, good money and the free taste card and deliveroo discount are pretty damn good!

If you have any questions, please ask. I will be as honest as I need to be!

Otherwise, if you'd like to work for deliveroo, and get an extra £50 bonus for joining working with them, please use this link: https://deliveroo.co.uk/apply

Cheers,

L14M

Last edited by a moderator:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Great insight there and thanks.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Great insight there and thanks.
No problem, just trying to show the actual inside of the company!

I wouldn't want to to anything different in my current position, despite the bad parts. It's lovely to be out on the road, enjoying myself and being paid for it. The guys you meet are almost always really nice guys. Getting friendly with the local takeaways and restaurants also has it's benefits when you need to take the misses out!

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Who insures the load?
It's covered by Deliveroo. If the food is damaged, cold, incorrect. The rider gets no ****. It's all sorted by Deliveroo.

I've personally handed over a steamy paper bag (I always make a point of holding it from the bottom) and it then splatted all over her flat, after she walked a couple of steps with it! Deliveroo ordered her a replacement FOC - I know, I ended up delivering it!

vickster

Legendary Member
You might want to join a cycling organisation that covers you for legal if you get knocked off again and 3rd party (you run into a ped or car, I almost got splatted as a ped by an unlit Deliveroo rider myself). Check the small print that you'd be covered while working etc

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Just out of curiosity how much do you make a month?

Shaun
That varies directly on how much I work.

Working on the basis of:
Sat night: £56.25 plus tips (about 4 hours)
Mon Night: £37.75 plus tips (about 4 hours)
Wed Night: £37.75 plus tips (about 4 hours)

Tips are typically around £10+ per night.

Then if there are any bonus', or I work lunch etc.

About £530 plus tips per month

They're now rolling out breakfast at £6 per delivery. Not tried it yet!

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
You might want to join a cycling organisation that covers you for legal if you get knocked off again and 3rd party (you run into a ped or car, I almost got splatted as a ped by an unlit Deliveroo rider myself). Check the small print that you'd be covered while working etc

Still a member of British Cycling. I believe they cover you even while working.

Some deliveroo riders are extremely lucky they haven't crashed yet. Some are genuinely good. But certainly not all.

We don't have a max delivery time, so why take risks?

classic33

Leg End Member
Still a member of British Cycling. I believe they cover you even while working.

Some deliveroo riders are extremely lucky they haven't crashed yet. Some are genuinely good. But certainly not all.

We don't have a max delivery time, so why take risks?
They may use the fact that you were working at the time of any incident, to say you weren't covered.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That varies directly on how much I work.

Working on the basis of:
Sat night: £56.25 plus tips (about 4 hours)
Mon Night: £37.75 plus tips (about 4 hours)
Wed Night: £37.75 plus tips (about 4 hours)

Tips are typically around £10+ per night.

Then if there are any bonus', or I work lunch etc.

About £530 plus tips per month

They're now rolling out breakfast at £6 per delivery. Not tried it yet!

Equates to about a tenner an hour, which is more than I guessed it would be.

About how many miles do you do?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Can you pick and choose your working days. Lets say yii only wanted to work Friday / Sat evenings?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Interesting thread.

MrsP has a work colleague that does Delivroo, for fun, says he enjoys it and keeps him fit, he doesn't need the money!

I was driving in London last Monday about 9pm it was dark, near Euston station and as I approached a t junction a delivery rider rode across not a single light on his bike.

Do Deliveroo have any checks and measures about the road worthiness of your bikes?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you have any questions, please ask. I will be as honest as I need to be!

Otherwise, if you'd like to work for deliveroo, and get an extra £50 bonus for joining working with them, please use this link: https://deliveroo.co.uk/apply

and then this referral code: LI42981

Considering your "employer" can trace you using this referral code, and you've demonstrated in this thread already that their regard for their "staff" is non-existent I'd venture to suggest that being honest might be brave.

Top Bottom