Working from Home Allowance

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Anyone tried to claim?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Working from home
You may be able to claim tax relief for additional household costs if you have to work at home for all or part of the week.

If you previously claimed tax relief when you worked from home because of coronavirus (COVID-19), you might no longer be eligible.

Who can claim tax relief
You can claim tax relief if you have to work from home, for example because:

your job requires you to live far away from your office
your employer does not have an office
Who cannot claim tax relief

You cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home. This includes if:

your employment contract lets you work from home some or all of the time
you work from home because of COVID-19
your employer has an office, but you cannot go there sometimes because it’s full
What you can claim for

You can only claim for things to do with your work, such as:

business phone calls
gas and electricity for your work area
You cannot claim for things that you use for both private and business use, such as rent or broadband access.

How much you can claim
You can either claim tax relief on:

£6 a week from 6 April 2020 (for previous tax years the rate is £4 a week) - you will not need to keep evidence of your extra costs
the exact amount of extra costs you’ve incurred above the weekly amount - you’ll need evidence such as receipts, bills or contracts

MichaelO

Veteran
Yes, for the 20/21 and 21/22 tax years when there was a legal requirement to WFH. Not sure I will be eligible for this tax year as I just choose to WFH on occasions. Easy to claim those two pandemic tax years back - and you have until 2025 to claim. Well worth it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yes, for the 20/21 and 21/22 tax years when there was a legal requirement to WFH. Not sure I will be eligible for this tax year as I just choose to WFH on occasions. Easy to claim those two pandemic tax years back - and you have until 2025 to claim. Well worth it.

Ditto all of this. I now WFH much more because I became accustomed to it (and got a nice office set up at home) over lockdowns, but I am not forced or compelled to.

If you are hybrid working, no longer claimable.

I've claimed for previous years but not this year yet. My employer does class me as Hybrid but I've had 1 working day in the office since March 2020. I need to investigate this with them.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
cannot be bothered, so much paperwork for not much money. But having just done the maths, we're missing out on about £280 for the year.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Already do an annual tax return due to my wife's property empire. So it was easy to claim for the days that I was forced to work from home, but it is optional now, so can't claim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
cannot be bothered, so much paperwork for not much money. But having just done the maths, we're missing out on about £280 for the year.

It wasn't much paperwork, 5 minutes, but for cash it was maybe a coffee a month benefit. It's off the taxable amount. My leccy was much higher, heating, not laptops.

MichaelO

Veteran
No paperwork required for the two pandemic years (it's an automatic refund), but you do need records for this year & onwards.

Top Bottom