Working heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Just to see if it works, I'm going to try riding at 60 - 70% of my working heart rate for a month to see if it makes me any <ahem> leaner and speedier.

Has anyone actually tried this and found it worked?

I appreciate that it probably equates to winter style Long Slow Distance, but 60 - 70% for me is between 120 - 140 bpm. Riding at that pace feels s-l-o-w and due to the number of hills round here it's difficult to stay in zone.

walker

it might shift a little bit of weight, as your working in the area of burning fat for fuel, rather than carbs. your best bet is to mix it with a little flat out efforts too.

bobg

Über Member
Baggy said:
Just to see if it works, I'm going to try riding at 60 - 70% of my working heart rate for a month to see if it makes me any <ahem> leaner and speedier.

Has anyone actually tried this and found it worked?

I appreciate that it probably equates to winter style Long Slow Distance, but 60 - 70% for me is between 120 - 140 bpm. Riding at that pace feels s-l-o-w and due to the number of hills round here it's difficult to stay in zone.

Hi Baggy, I've got some charts of a 3 month traing regime using various percentages of max hr- 1 month "beginners" 1 month "ntermediate" and one month "advanced". I'm in the middle of the intermediate and it involved 45 -60 mins per day at varying HR percentages with one rest day per week. I'm on week 5 and found an amazing improvement in my stamina and leg strength in a really short time. Theres loads more to it that that but I'd be happy to send you a copy if you pm me with your address

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Hi, I use this method for running, always staying under 70% of WHR my resting is 47 and max 194 does this work out the same for cycling?
I find it is great for cardio fitness and also losing weight but you need to put the miles in to do that, on running, probably an hour on a bike at low HR would do the trick also and a bit of speedwork chucked in for good measure....

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Think the 70% rule will also apply to cycling...I've worked mine out to be between 65-70%.

My one way commute is 40 mins, so am trying to keep mostly in zone, and hope that hills count as speedwork! Have tried it on my commute this week and have been arriving at work feeling much less hot and bothered than usual, and only about 1mph slower than normal.

Have taken up bobg's offer of the spreadsheets so will give the programme a try when they arrive.

MichaelM

Guru
I have two pdf books about HR cycle training. I have no idea how good they are as I don't have/use a HRM, they were sent to me by a running friend.

I can mail hem to you if you want them.

Michael

bobg

Über Member
MichaelM said:
I have two pdf books about HR cycle training. I have no idea how good they are as I don't have/use a HRM, they were sent to me by a running friend.

I can mail hem to you if you want them.

Michael
Thats very kind of you MM but I've just spent a small fortune buying books on the subject :tongue: Baggy might be intetested though if you pm her. BTW if you're there Baggy did you get those training notes yet . I sent them ages ago? And sorry Caz, I'll post copies to you tomorrow, been a bit tied up lately:sad:

caz

Don't worry Bobg, I know what it's like - things cropping up, things to do etc. Life gets hectic. Look forward to receiving it soon.

MichaelM

Guru
On a related note - Can anyone recommend a HRM?

Seems there's a 1001 to choose from, would prefer to be able to wear as a watch and mount on the bars. How advanced do I go? If I ride 6 days a week,
2 fast/hard, 2 recovery, and the other two somewhere between, any need to download to pc to track progresss etc etc?

It was suggested at last night's TT that I should ride with one - been giving it some thought since alsmost everyone else is using HRM/Power meters etc etc

Michael

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
caz said:
...things cropping up, things to do etc. Life gets hectic.
;) Which is exactly why I've been rather rude and not yet posted on here to say "thanks" to Bobg, the notes arrived last week :biggrin:

Michael M - my monitor is on my bike computer, but Chuffy has a Polar F6, about £60, can be worn as a watch or you can buy a bar mount and so far it's worked really well, no interference from other monitors/mobile phones etc.

It does have the facility to download data, but we've not looked into how you do it (I thinkyou need to download something from Polar).

He bought it after buying a £50 X-train V3, which only worked sporadically.

I've been using my hrm as a "rough guide" to give me the average reading over a ride - so far by staying a lower zone I've been enjoying my riding a lot more than I had been of late, and three weeks into it am definitely feeling fitter and seem to be going faster though staying at the same heart rate.

The X-Train is pants. Can't believe Wiggle have it stamped as recommended. Can only think they have stock to shift. Now the Garmin forerunner 50... it's ace!!!

If you don't have a handlebar mount, you may want to consider wearing it on your right wrist when cycling. You may also want to consider getting the cadence sensor.

I had a basic polar before, and bought the Garmin when I was faced with having to send the chest strap on the polar away to get a battery change. I'm now a total convert and love it

MichaelM

Guru
Been shopping ! I'm off out to test the new Forerunner 50 now. Intend on doing an easyish ride, when I get back I'll try to figure out the cal, min/max HR, how to download and what the hell to do with this info!

Top Bottom