Working up to Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Finally decided that now is the time for this, seeing as I have a proper bike now and on account of my feet sliding about alarmingly on flats in the wet.

The strategy so far is to get used to the things by clipping in/out of them fairly often.

To this end, I fitted one M520 pedal to my old hybrid, and spent a few minutes getting used to the clipping in/out of one foot whilst not moving at all.

After that, I spent a half hour pootling about with one flat and one clipless pedal, trying to get used to clipping out on the side of the foot I normally put down whilst stationary. Out of that, had one fall, (it's heartening to see your foot come free of the pedal once you're beyond the point of no return, isn't it? :sad: )

Last night's project was further pootling with both pedals clipless - the dog was kind enough to assist by continually placing himself exactly where I'd flatten him if I fell.... End result, a few close calls, but no actual falls this time.

I guess it's inevitable that a public clipless moment is my due at some point, but I'm quite surprised at how simple it's been to "train" myself to get used to the pedals with a little bit of effort.

domtyler

Über Member
Good for you Mr Monkey. It takes quite a while for it to be totally natural but eventually it will be as easy as, well, riding a bike! :sad:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a clipless moment is mandatory for a proper cyclist. i've had two: the first was my first foray with them, came to a stop at a junction, realized that the pedals were too tight, and fell, feet still in, over to my right. the second was when i got a mountain bike and (foolishly) fitted look pedals. i was bowling along a tow path, got to one of those funny bridges that switches the towpath to the other side. they are very steep, and cobbled. i tried to grind up, roadie style, but the back wheel went from under me, and bike and i, clipped together, slid back down the slope.

Made the transition myself a few months ago now. Though I was going from clips to clipless, which I actually find easier to get out of but sometimes harder to get in to.

There'll be a big advantage over flats, especially up really steep stuff when you can really yank the pedals around.

Maz

Guru
Good luck with clipless, jtm. The dangerous time is say a couple of days into riding clipless when you feel too at ease with them, then you forget you're clipped in and then you try and put your foot on the floor etc....

Maz

Guru
Panter said:
I'm fairly new to them too. I've done just over 600miles on them without a single fall :sad:

(may as well get it out of the way now :biggrin: )
Yes, get it out of the way...just lay a thick mattress on the floor and fall off onto it.
clipless moments are like the measles - one-time only.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I didn't realise that they had an adjustable tension so I fell off 3 times until I read the instructions. It soon becomes second nature - I can even do an almost track stand at traffic lights now without fear of falling over in front of tittering car drivers!

Slim

Über Member
If you're still a bit nervous, try the "multi-way" cleats. These release in pretty much any direction including upwards (confirmed by me in a very panicky moment when I was about to fall into the path of a bus ;) .

I think they're marked as SH56 (shimano).

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've just picked up a barely used second hand pair of Shimano M324
pedals for the MTB and Mrs. tdr1nka managed to get me the Aldi clipless shoe in a size 11!

Now I just have to give them a go?!?!
Wish me luck!

simonali

Guru
Replace the cleats whenever they look a little worn, too, as I've heard stories of badly worn ones not releasing. I've been clipless since 1986 and definitely had more 'moments' when I had toeclips and straps. As soon as I saw Hinault and those magic pedals in the '85 (?) TdF I had to have some and when the Looks were in the shops I got them! I had the PP75 model, which can be seen in this foreign (but very interesting) forum page. I also had the Shimano PD7401s further down the page.

http://www.bikemontt.cl/lofiversion/index.php/t4801.html

Good find, this, by me! ;) Brings back memories.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
tdr1nka said:
I've just picked up a barely used second hand pair of Shimano M324
pedals for the MTB and Mrs. tdr1nka managed to get me the Aldi clipless shoe in a size 11!

Now I just have to give them a go?!?!
Wish me luck!

where from, they haven't had them in for years? not next time either ;)

Top Bottom