Working up to Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
tdr1nka said:
Just went for a bimble in the local park and the pedals feel sound!
Now I've just got to set the release springs a bit higher than the 'newbie wuss' setting.:sad:

Be a man! Wind 'em right up! ;)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Got in late from work today, so just a quick 15 minutes with both feet clipped in. Had an odd fall where I genuinely wasn't sure quite what I'd done wrong, but thereafter had my "resting" foot free in time every time, and did a couple of practice "emergency" releases (taking both feet out, I tend to do this (lifting my feet from flat pedals) when I hit ice, as it's not clear which side the bike will go to).

Still fairly pleased, as is the dog, who has not been fallen on yet.

Thanks for the encouragement, and your own clipless tales. I've a feeling one "moment" won't be enough for me though :thumbsup:

Dave5N

Über Member
I've mentioned this before, but anyway...

My son went clipless last year with looks. I stuck him on his bike in the front room doorway so he could watch telly sitting on the bike, and bade him click in and out constantly. He mastered it in an hour, and has not had a problem since.

As a method, you may get laughed at at home, but it works.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Right, after a bit of a break, (hols plus illness), did one last pootle around the garden, fell once, but the dog remained unsquashed.

So I put the pedals on the proper bike (gulp) and did a couple more slow speed circuits, clipping and unclipping, and managing not to squash the dog.

Today I did the first commute with the clipless pedals - took it very easy (average speed down by about 1-2 mph) unclipping probably way before I needed to. Clipping back in was occasionally a problem too, although the design of the M520 pedals does seem to mean you can still apply power to them without being clipped in. I guess the real test is tonight's journey home, when the traffic will be heavier and the pressure slightly greater...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'll admit I'm still unclipping at the slightest hint of trouble but I've been clipless for a couple of weeks now and just about got all the adjustments sorted.
I bought the Shimano M324 pedals as they are double sided(one side SPD the other, normal pedal)and have found on the odd occasions I have worn trainers that my feet now seem trained to rest in the right position!

Bigtallfatbloke

I've had a couple of falls...mostly to the left when my right foot is unclipped at junctions.

I find that keeping the clip loose and coated in wd 40 helps

Trillian

alecstilleyedye said:
a clipless moment is mandatory for a proper cyclist. i've had two: the first was my first foray with them, came to a stop at a junction, realized that the pedals were too tight, and fell, feet still in, over to my right. the second was when i got a mountain bike and (foolishly) fitted look pedals. i was bowling along a tow path, got to one of those funny bridges that switches the towpath to the other side. they are very steep, and cobbled. i tried to grind up, roadie style, but the back wheel went from under me, and bike and i, clipped together, slid back down the slope.

i've yet to have a clipless moment but i had been on toe clips for a bit before that. just stuck clips on and went :blush:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've Officially Done It!!

On the Old Kent Road, and in full view of the bus stop!!
For some reason the plastic clip that held my front mudguard wires to the lug on the forks shattered and threw the wires into my front wheel, all at low speed so no damage done, but in the rush to leave the saddle I did manage to forget my feet were clipped in and so I duly clattered onto the pavement.

You've gotta laugh haven't you!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Commiserations tdr1nka :blush:

I've done all my commutes in clipless so far this week - had a near moment stopping to fix a puncture (it's damnably easy to forget that you're attached to the bike when something else distracts me) but no moment proper as yet.

I am amazed at how much more effecient pedalling is though - I can't imagine going back to flats now...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
John the Monkey said:
I am amazed at how much more effecient pedalling is though - I can't imagine going back to flats now...

TY JTM!
It is a hell of a difference isn't it! At the moment I'm not certain if my computer is on the blink but my average and max speeds seem to have improved by 4-5mph! I ain't going back to flats either.:blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Slim said:
If you're still a bit nervous, try the "multi-way" cleats. These release in pretty much any direction including upwards (confirmed by me in a very panicky moment when I was about to fall into the path of a bus :blush: .

I think they're marked as SH56 (shimano).

I think he means these, they look just like the sort of thing I need. On one occasion when I was new to riding clipless, I couldn't my right foot to release, so I cycle up to a lamp post and lent against it will I unlaced the shoe so that I could get off my bike:blush::blush:

Top Bottom