Working with a frame that is one size too big

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got hold of a frame from a garage sale that is a size too big. What are the things that you can do in terms of build such as stem, seatpost etc that can help bring it down a size? Any input is appreciated.

MisterStan

Label Required
Put it in the washing machine at 60 degrees.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

How big is too big? Can you stand over it?

Just about.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Surely the only things you can do is a shorter stem to shorten the reach, slam the saddle and move it as far forward on its rails as possible, although this may cause problems with your position in relation to the pedals. Make sure its not an offset seatpost which has a layback angle to it and then depending on how this all comes together you could then replace the cranks with longer or shorter to suit but that will only give you a few mm of difference or so.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
8193337981_3e9008879a_z.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Surely the only things you can do is a shorter stem to shorten the reach,
"Reach" is centre BB - centre headtube and is really governed by torso length. No stem on the planet can shorten it. No change on the planet can shorten a Toptube either.

slam the saddle and move it as far forward on its rails as possible, although this may cause problems with your position in relation to the pedals.
In all likelyhood it will cause problems from a fit perspective. Saddle height fore/aft and layback are all things to take into consideration BEFORE you look at how far away the bars are. Bringing the saddle to the bars is a sure sign of the frame being too big.

Make sure its not an offset seatpost which has a layback angle to it and then depending on how this all comes together you could then replace the cranks with longer or shorter to suit but that will only give you a few mm of difference or so.
Overall it's still not going to make a bike that is too big, the right size.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by one size too big. If the top tube is too long, even a shorter stem won't necessarily help. If the seat tube is too long, well, even putting the seat post all the way in won't help. Having said that, I think most people can make a bike frame that is one size too big (E.g. 56cm vs 54cm) just about work with a shorter stem and putting the seat post down. Not that I'd recommend it, but you could fit a shorter stem and twist the seatpost around and refit the saddle (so the saddle is closer to the handle bars, but it still puts your body too far forward of the pedals). I've never done that though (seen other people do it and ride a bike no problem) and don't want to do it.

Certainly not optimal, but it would be rideable. Pretty much a bike -no matter what it is -isn't a bargain if it doesn't fit you and you can't ride it comfortably (well, unless you could sell it for loads of money, read on to my next sentence). I'd consider a swap or a sell and go a frame of the right size for you.

Top Bottom