World Championship 2019 Yorkshire......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Having two levels of punishment for different severity of offence doesn't make it a "continuum".
Yes it does. Unless there are two clearly distinct offences. Which there aren't. A judgment is made of where on the continuum each offence lies. Sometimes it's allowed to pass - eg when a rider is chasing back on and there is no active racing, sometimes it is noticed and the offender is told to desist - eg if they push it a bit far, sometimes it's penalised by a fine, sometimes with a DQ - if it's aggravated or repeated. It's all the same offence, just different degrees.

That makes it unsurprising - to me at least - that events like this happen.

Adam4868

Guru
There's so many "grey areas" as in drafting,sticky bottle,even fecking sock length.But I guess if the UCI think you've took the piss then it's tough luck.To be fair even though he won which made it even more of a epic ride....he took the piss !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes it does. Unless there are two clearly distinct offences. Which there aren't. A judgment is made of where on the continuum each offence lies. Sometimes it's allowed to pass - eg when a rider is chasing back on and there is no active racing, sometimes it is noticed and the offender is told to desist - eg if they push it a bit far, sometimes it's penalised by a fine, sometimes with a DQ - if it's aggravated or repeated. It's all the same offence, just different degrees.

That makes it unsurprising - to me at least - that events like this happen.
The judgment is not made of where on a continuum each offence lies - it's made of whether each offence has been committed, that is whether the rider has gained an advantage from slipstreaming and, if so, whether it's a repeated infringement or has aggravating circumstances. Having some offences missed and two related offences (with or without "repeated infringement or aggravating circumstances") is three points, not a continuum - there is not a continuous range of offences. For example, is there any team-car-slipstreaming offence punished by more than fines but less than disqualification?

Oh well. I'm astounded that someone I thought reasonable seems to be trying to compare a group convoy-hopping their way back after a crash during a stage race to a lone rider slipstreaming one team car alone at high speed for 2 minutes in the world championships. Even if there is much grey area in the rules or we had 100% detection, I still don't see much reason to expect either case to have a different DQ decision.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think you're missing my point. Or I'm failing to make it. I'll close this circular discussion with: I was unsurprised by "the Eekhoff affair" and will continue to be unsurprised by future transgressions.

Adam4868

Guru
The judgment is not made of where on a continuum each offence lies - it's made of whether each offence has been committed, that is whether the rider has gained an advantage from slipstreaming and, if so, whether it's a repeated infringement or has aggravating circumstances. Having some offences missed and two related offences (with or without "repeated infringement or aggravating circumstances") is three points, not a continuum - there is not a continuous range of offences. For example, is there any team-car-slipstreaming offence punished by more than fines but less than disqualification?

Oh well. I'm astounded that someone I thought reasonable seems to be trying to compare a group convoy-hopping their way back after a crash during a stage race to a lone rider slipstreaming one team car alone at high speed for 2 minutes in the world championships. Even if there is much grey area in the rules or we had 100% detection, I still don't see much reason to expect either case to have a different DQ decision.
I think you're missing my point. Or I'm failing to make it. I'll close this circular discussion with: I was unsurprised by "the Eekhoff affair" and will continue to be unsurprised by future transgressions.

Get a room x

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are no grey areas as far as socks are concerned!

It is all precisely quantified.

View: https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1175776700971532289

But... In one of the TTs we saw a rider reach down and pull his socks up shortly after setting off. That made me think that perhaps he had deliberately left his socks loose (or even folded down) when they were being measured. Is there a regulation for how hard you have to pull them up before the measurement is taken? :whistle:

Adam4868

Guru
But... In one of the TTs we saw a rider reach down and pull his socks up shortly after setting off. That made me think that perhaps he had deliberately left his socks loose (or even folded down) when they were being measured. Is there a regulation for how hard you have to pull them up before the measurement is taken? :whistle:
Depends on the length of your leg and the most important measurement.....the distance between your kneecap and foot !
Don't get me started on the benefits of long v short sleeves.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is there a regulation for how hard you have to pull them up before the measurement is taken? :whistle:
If the scrutineer breaks the rider's toes off, then it was too hard!

rliu

Veteran
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-49880778

Came across this and can see BBC Yorkshire are jumping in with some Daily Mail esque misquoting and extrapolating a couple of interviews to suggest the event was a 'disaster' for Harrogate. I've always felt bemused about people complaining about BBC output but actually felt compelled to do so about this article, because it's just simply not true that the World Champs could have been an overall negative for the Harrogate economy. I travelled up from London for the day yesterday and spent money in local pubs and supermarkets, and the hotels seemed to be full of Dutch and Belgian fans who had travelled over.

Julia9054

Guru

Came across this tweet this morning. So it seems the BBC have an agenda to only present one side.

GuyBoden

Guru
The 2020 UCI Road World Championships are to be held in Vaud and Valais in Switzerland.

"There is significant rainfall throughout the year in Le Vaud. Even the driest month still has a lot of rainfall. The Köppen-Geiger climate classification is Cfb. The average annual temperature in Le Vaud is 7.7 °C. The average annual rainfall is 1182 mm. "

Hopefully, Tutunendo in Colombia will be chosen for future World's, it's the third rainiest place on the planet. ^_^

tom73

Guru
They look be trying to back track a bit and have changed the story on line trying to make it look balanced but failed again.
It's not a surprise really it is Harrogate it's a different world to the rest of us.
Anything that stop's the Chelsea tractor lot and ladies that lunch was forced to end badly.
I did came access a couple on the phone saying "we are having to walk everywhere as we cant use the car". I though oh here we go but then told who ever about what how great it was seeing everything. But can't see them getting on the news anytime soon.
I do feel for Horticap it's a great charity shame they've got dragged into crap reporting.

Top Bottom