World Cycle Race - Start [PHOTOS]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I think the 'live tracking' has given up, only 'JW' is listed as being in Plymouth docks at the moment, he seems to have got there in a straight line from Heathrow airport, so presumably he has a mate with a float plane who took him direct.

The rest seem have have disappeared off the map, they can't still be in the Cafe at the start as it closes after dark.

Brains

Legendary Member
As for the bikes, some of them don't really look set up for a world tour, even Beaumont had 4 panniers and as the fastest man around the world when he did it.

Brains

Legendary Member
try this for tracking

link

edit: also, the tensioner mentioned above broke in london, the guy is still in blighty

Thanks - tracking now seems to be working.

Kyle Hewett still in Blighty - at least the tensioner broke here where he can do someting about it, in the Ozzie Outback it would have been a different issue.
Still as the 'race' is measured from start time, I guess if he leaves a week late it will not matter too much, as he could still 'win' by being a week late

Brains

Legendary Member
Any idea how the tracking technoligy works ?

One of the guys (in Morocco) seems to have a location given every 10 mins, others (the one in Spain) are about once and hour and others (one in Brittany) seem to be once per 24 hrs.

doog

Any idea how the tracking technoligy works ?

One of the guys (in Morocco) seems to have a location given every 10 mins, others (the one in Spain) are about once and hour and others (one in Brittany) seem to be once per 24 hrs.

The GPS needs to see the sky, they are also very power hungry and sometimes / often unreliable as we are seeing here. The more they report the more battery they use. The tracking company can communicate with the devices to measure battery power and adjust reporting times but need a GSM signal to do this. So lots of variables.

I am watching Mike Hall with interest. He is flying.

doog

still following this, looks like one lad broke his chain tensioner and is still in the UK, Kyle Hewitt dropped out as stated but just reading that Sean Conway who flew to S America has arrived but the airline have no idea where his bike is could be back in Madrid.I presume that his clock doesnt start until he leaves the airport.

doog

Anyone know what's happening with this?

Im still following it. Mike Hall appears to be in the lead having covered 7500k but its all over the shop.

http://trackleaders.com/worldcyclerace

Its a pain having to link to their individual web sites but have a fair idea of whats happening. Two have scrubbed it, a couple of return to home and re starts.....working out the winner will be a nightmare....

Its all a bit odd. Meant to be unsupported but some guy has visited several relatives in the US where I guess he had bed, board and bike mechanics.Also people have jacked up pit stops in advance ie spares at bike shops( but I guess this is nothing in the big scheme of things ).The GPS isnt reliable at all so no real idea of distance travelled so I guess its a massive trust thing or they have something calibrated on the bikes.

Im still following it. Mike Hall appears to be in the lead having covered 7500k but its all over the shop.

http://trackleaders.com/worldcyclerace

Its a pain having to link to their individual web sites but have a fair idea of whats happening. Two have scrubbed it, a couple of return to home and re starts.....working out the winner will be a nightmare....

Its all a bit odd. Meant to be unsupported but some guy has visited several relatives in the US where I guess he had bed, board and bike mechanics.Also people have jacked up pit stops in advance ie spares at bike shops( but I guess this is nothing in the big scheme of things ).The GPS isnt reliable at all so no real idea of distance travelled so I guess its a massive trust thing or they have something calibrated on the bikes.

I'm glad you are Doog because I was trying to work it out before and couldn't. About the only thing that seemed clear was that Mike Hall was doing pretty well.

Top Bottom