World Cycle Race - Start [PHOTOS]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
http://worldcycleracing.com/

hats off to these guys - what an adventure! exciting few months ahead.

IMG_0626.jpg

more photos here

Brains

Legendary Member
I think this should be a sticky so we can follow their progress.

Annoyed I did not know about this before the 'off' a few hours ago, as I'm walking distance from the start and the guys will have cycled past my front door today and will be cycling past again on their way back

MrB1obby

I forgot this started today! I read about it a few months ago, bookmarked the page and all.

I think it's crazy that some have only 2 small bags, one under the seat and handlebars, yet some have 4 panniers, with bags and things on top of those panniers. Clearly some are more in for winning the race than others as they'll either be in a BnB or sleeping in the stars.

I'm going to try and keep an eye on this.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think this should be a sticky so we can follow their progress.

Annoyed I did not know about this before the 'off' a few hours ago, as I'm walking distance from the start and the guys will have cycled past my front door today and will be cycling past again on their way back

How can you be sure they're riding past your front door? From the photos it looks as though they've gone directly south about half a mile to the church on Blackheath before stopping to study the map. If they're going to stop every half mile the tour's going to take quite some time!

(Yes, I'm annoyed too as I'm also local.)

Reactions: gaz

Brains

Legendary Member
How can you be sure they're riding past your front door? From the photos it looks as though they've gone directly south about half a mile to the church on Blackheath before stopping to study the map. If they're going to stop every half mile the tour's going to take quite some time!

(Yes, I'm annoyed too as I'm also local.)

mmm, not sure about the tracking software as one seems still to be sitting in the cafe in Greenwich park, one seems to be in Newhaven already which given that it's at least two hours to drive in a car is pretty impressive in under 5 hours on a loaded tourer through London and over both north and south Downs. Two seem to have gone home as one is in Horsham and another in Gloucester.

Still I'm sure once they all get going the tracking software will give us a bit more of idea where they are.

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
regarding Mike H - it's very reasonable to reach newhaven in 3h50 (it's about the same distance as brighton), and he's not heavily loaded.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
regarding Mike H - it's very reasonable to reach newhaven in 3h50 (it's about the same distance as brighton), and he's not heavily loaded.
But does he know the way?;)

I think its a bit of a mixture of gum ball rally and the wacky races - some are going anticlockwise and some whatever the other is - only requirement is a minimum of 29k km and pas thru 2 points 180°apart

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
indeed, they are free to choose the route as long as it complies with the rules. i've asked MartinW if he's going to manage it on a standard double and 12-25 - he said yeah, the only tough climb(s) will be crossing pyrenees, nothing too steep for the rest of the way.
but 225mi/day - my gosh!:wacko:

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
I forgot this started today! I read about it a few months ago, bookmarked the page and all.

I think it's crazy that some have only 2 small bags, one under the seat and handlebars, yet some have 4 panniers, with bags and things on top of those panniers. Clearly some are more in for winning the race than others as they'll either be in a BnB or sleeping in the stars.

I'm going to try and keep an eye on this.

Would love to know what these guys have packed,, some seem to have very little with them; Bivvi bag maybe? still not much gear on some of these rides especially given the cold weather thatthey are going to hit..

Sparkyman

MrB1obby

Exactly, they must have one set of everything that is entirely vital and will be needed, nothing else. Bearing in mind all the things that could go wrong on the ride is within those small packs as well. They also could be having winter clothing shipped to a hotel just before the cold weather starts.

Top Bottom