Wormeries vs. Bokashi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kabuki obvs....
That'll be the one. She did mention it'd be quite dramatic. But she was speaking with her mouth full again.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have a pair of bokashi bins. It's dead easy - anything can go in incluing cooked food. Then sprinkle a bit of the bran on. Continue until it's full then leave to brew. While that's happening you use the other one.

Once it's all brewed the contents are sort of pickled and I then shove them in my dalek compost bin. They rot down quite quickly in there and the worms seem to like it. You can dig the contents into your garden if you don't want to put it into the compost.

The liquid that comes off stinks. They say you can have bokashi indoors but after spilling a bit of the liquid I moved mine into the garage. The smell may depend on what you put in.

I had a wormery for a while, but they need a bit more care and you have to be careful about what you feed them.

@mjr worms don't eat seeds. If they did nothing would get a chance to grow in the ground as the worms would've gobbled them up. You need a compost bin to get hot to kill the seeds.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have a pair of bokashi bins. It's dead easy - anything can go in incluing cooked food. Then sprinkle a bit of the bran on. Continue until it's full then leave to brew. While that's happening you use the other one.

Once it's all brewed the contents are sort of pickled and I then shove them in my dalek compost bin. They rot down quite quickly in there and the worms seem to like it. You can dig the contents into your garden if you don't want to put it into the compost.

The liquid that comes off stinks. They say you can have bokashi indoors but after spilling a bit of the liquid I moved mine into the garage. The smell may depend on what you put in.

I had a wormery for a while, but they need a bit more care and you have to be careful about what you feed them.

@mjr worms don't eat seeds. If they did nothing would get a chance to grow in the ground as the worms would've gobbled them up. You need a compost bin to get hot to kill the seeds.
Thanks Anne, I’m erring towards this a solution.
Do they cost much in Bran per annum?

annedonnelly

Thanks Anne, I’m erring towards this a solution.
Do they cost much in Bran per annum?

Nope - I'm only on my second bag of bran ever and I've had them for years. Obviously it depends how much food waste you have - I'm on my own but have a fair bit of banana skins, apple cores, etc going in. Plus any veg peelings.

I suspect I don't use as much bran as they tell you to but the pickling process is definitely happening.

Wormary work well.
You need tiger worms ideally.
Google tiger worms as you often need to Buy mail order.
Have fun
My stepdad had a wormery. When he needed new worms they were ordered and sent through the post. They arrived franked, flattened and dead :sad:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

@annedonnelly we’ve started! Our bins instructions say no tea bags, so we’ve been ripping them up and just putting the leaves in.
Have you tried whole bags or know why they can’t be used?
Cheers
FF

snorri

Legendary Member
That bokashi system sounds like a right faff, too much work for me, and buying bran to put in a compost heap seems like unnecessary expense. I put all recyclable garden and kitchen waste(including tea bags) in to a black composting bin in my garden. There has never been an odour problem. When I need compost for the garden I can scoop it out from the bottom of the bin. Any materials that have not broken down go back in the compost bin for another year or into the garbage bin.
Perhaps the fact that I occasionally add grass cuttings and seaweed off the shore helps the breaking down process in my compost bin.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I have friends who do that with tea bags, according to them the bag contains some form of plastic to stop it disintegrating in your tea. In ordinary compost bins the remnants of the bags do show up in the compost, so it could be true. I put them in the Green Johanna whole anyway.
Thanks. We even found we could disintergratw them in the blender, but it’s a faff. I do recall though that tea bags broke-down in our worm infested composter. Maybe it’s the brand of tea bag that makes a difference.
More research required!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
That bokashi system sounds like a right faff, too much work for me, and buying bran to put in a compost heap seems like unnecessary expense. I put all recyclable garden and kitchen waste(including tea bags) in to a black composting bin in my garden. There has never been an odour problem. When I need compost for the garden I can scoop it out from the bottom of the bin. Any materials that have not broken down go back in the compost bin for another year or into the garbage bin.
Perhaps the fact that I occasionally add grass cuttings and seaweed off the shore helps the breaking down process in my compost bin.
A faff is one thing it's not. It's just an inside compost bin and there is no odour whatsoever. Put your waste in, sprinkle your bran on and job done. It's quicker than a big composted.

annedonnelly

@annedonnelly we’ve started! Our bins instructions say no tea bags, so we’ve been ripping them up and just putting the leaves in.
Have you tried whole bags or know why they can’t be used?
Cheers
FF

Ooooh! Great to hear that you've made a start!

I think I read that teabags were too wet. So you could dry them first. But most (all?) tea bags actually contain plastic so they don't compost completely.

I have a separate dish on the windowsill for used tea bags. When that is full I dump the lot into the dalek compost bin. When I harvest the completed compost I usually find the bags are still there - minus tea. I tend to pop them back in for another attempt.

Top Bottom