Worried about security when using new bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Similar here Skol. When I lock it up outside a cafe for eg. I always put it into the highest gear possible (52/11 on mine). All but impossible to get moving in that gear and I'm guessing someone who nicks it probably doesn't know how to use the shifters

Slightly off-topic, I tried a similar trick with my Brompton in Condor Cycles. I left the main hinge undone. My personal best for cycling with the main hinge undone is 5m.

I found myself in a similar situation, and to make it worse bike insurance had silly clauses like extra costs if the bike was used 'in darkness'. Great for commuting in Winter.

I went for N+1 and got a sleeper, a perfectly good bike, just a bit old. It's a nice ride.

Currently it is sitting at the local tram stop. It hasn't been messed about with in six years but if it is, I'll have the consolation it isn't my Xtracycle.

I also try and park it next to a flashy expensive bike so mine doesn't get noticed...

Last edited:
Can I just point out, I didn't pay that much by a good amount.

Pfft. I have clients who pay that for a tatoo or various brain mushing substances. At least that keeps you healthy and gets you around.

We spent 2100€ on our Bakfiets. When people pull a face at this (and they generally ask the cost second, after "does it have a motor?") I ask how much it costs to run their car for a year.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5415578, member: 9609"]as they say if you've got it flaunt it - you enjoy your wealth[/QUOTE]
Mine was actually bought out of the injury claim that finally paid up after 4 years of pain, so hardly flaunting...

vickster

Legendary Member
If you can't afford to lose it, then you can't afford it :tongue:
This is also true. Hence insurance or cash laid aside

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 5415578, member: 9609"]as they say if you've got it flaunt it - you enjoy your wealth[/QUOTE]
That's a bit offensive actually! There's absolutely no flaunting involved with the bike I have bought and the sooner it becomes soiled, aged and inconspicuous the better.
It is an expensive bike but also the cheapest option to tick all the boxes in my requirements list. It is also fitted with a set of 7yr old mudguards and a 7yr old £20 saddle so hardly spending for the sake of it.
Buying quality items does not equal extravagance!

You’d be right to be worried. Bike thefts are at epidemic levels in the U.K., and plod couldn’t care less. I tend to bring my bike into the establishments I’m visiting, or lock it in full view of them now. I plan my routes carefully, so as I know I can do so, when I need to. The truth of it is, that in the U.K. we live in a society that resembles the Wild West, and if you can’t afford to lose something, don’t leave it out of eye’s view.

tom73

Guru
If in town I use the local bike hub at the station.
Not all plod some must care Mrs 73 walk past a row of bike's out back of a local cop shop all tagged and waiting to be returned.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
However you lock it just don't do it how I did once with a gold standard lock. I'd left it for 90 minutes like this.

DSC_0034.JPG

Top Bottom