Worried about security when using new bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. Most petty criminals are not Raffles they want a quick in and out job

The sort of thieves who go out with vans, cordless angle grinders and hydraulic forcing tools are not the same as scruffy herberts on foot wearing hoodies with a pair of cheap wire cutters in their pocket just looking for something that they can sell for £50 to buy some more drugs, when they aren't out shoplifting joints of prepacked meat and bars of chocolate out of the local supermarkets. One lot of thieves are well-equipped professionals with tools & transport, the other just pedestrian street scum who will commit any sort of easy crime for a few quid

Ah, no, your theory is right holmes, must admit I didn't, or maybe scanned it and got sleepy. Praps skol should in his extensive post have said this. My essential points remain though. Perfectly possibly to have a wonderful running utility bike that doesn't look like it and so is pretty thief resistant. I would guess that you wouldn't leave such a pricey bike out in the mean streets. Of course if skol only has room for one bike the ussue is a bit more complex/real.
Edit, on an academic point, confused by prices on this (and admit guilt in not reading skol's collected works), if new bike has an rrp of 1800, are the transferred bits in addition to this?

Edit _ reply to colin. John dived in between :smile:

Last edited:
The sort of thieves who go out with vans, cordless angle grinders and hydraulic forcing tools are not the same as scruffy herberts on foot wearing hoodies with a pair of cheap wire cutters in their pocket just looking for something that they can sell for £50 to buy some more drugs, when they aren't out shoplifting joints of prepacked meat and bars of chocolate out of the local supermarkets. One lot of thieves are well-equipped professionals with tools & transport, the other just pedestrian street scum who will commit any sort of easy crime for a few quid
True. At least in london. I know someone who locked his nice carbon bike near london bridge, popped in a shop for 5 minutes and returned to find it gone. That must have been a pro job. By the by, I know someone not a million miles from this place who reckons (and may be right) that his bike was nicked by the police, but that's a different story. Some mean mean streets out there.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The road bike is never left where I cannot keep an eye on it though , and is never keft for very long, but that is a riding bike

This bit cracks me up. Aren't cheap hack bikes built for riding then:laugh:? I don't tend to push mine down to the shops or pub!

tom73

Guru
The very one's who go for high value items mostly from site's and garages in the middle of night. Not rack up in on the high street and bag a few on the way. If you value something you take suitable action to hold on to it. With a bike it's a good lock , insurance and leaving it in suitable place. Fear of crime and ever ending doom from the daily hate Oh sorry mail. Should not stop most from carrying on with stuff they enjoy. Both me and Mrs 73 spend a lot of our working day with offenders. Do we panic and never use our car, or iPhone and other high end stuff no we don't. Do we live in fear that every other lamp post is hiding a hoodie wearing knife carrying "youth" No we don't. Do I think twice about not walking round with my iPhone in my back pocket along with my wallet. Yes it's common sense just as it is to lock the car when I leave it parked up.

betty swollocks

large member
5d4cdc4aee880edf41c9fa8b5b57adcd.jpg

Stephenite

Membå
However you lock it just don't do it how I did once with a gold standard lock. I'd left it for 90 minutes like this.
I'm forever leaving the keys in the ignition of the car. Must be an age thing. :tongue:

Regarding the OP. This level of care and protection is normal and will pass after a few weeks. I bought a new-to-me racer this summer. It lived in the bedroom for the first few weeks, leant against the wardrobe. Now it lives in the communal basement.

classic33

Leg End Member
Easily beat with something other than a cheap cable lock, and I doubt they'd fair too well against case hardened steel or a 10mm bar.

[QUOTE 5415348, member: 9609"]£1,800 for a push bike - Im lost for words

I worry if the dustcart comes along they may think mine is scrap and chuck it in the back - as such I would never leave my precious bike unattended.[/QUOTE]
Scarily that's just above entry level these days :eek:

My T2 is probably perfect for commuting in fact it was my commuter when I worked in Newark and could leave the bike in the basement that was only accessible by an internal office door and a maze of corridors (a lot of my colleagues never even knew there was a basement). I work in central Cambridge now and commute a reasonable distance (circa 30 miles round) so I wanted something cheap and less attractive but still quick enough so I opted for a BTwin Triban 500, touch wood after 5 months Im delighted with it.

Easily beat with something other than a cheap cable lock, and I doubt they'd fair too well against case hardened steel or a 10mm bar.
Can yiu show us a bike lock that will resist an angle grinder classic?

In the London theft case I referred to above, I reckon the fact that the victim acquantance was in the shop for such a short time was probably irrelevant. I reckon the pros were watching the site. They will have their technique down to a T/timed, and would in any case be confident of releasing a bike well within the time it would take someone to march straight into a shop and smartly exit with a pair of socks.

Scarily that's just above entry level these days :eek:
If you are looking for an entry level bike, or indeed most any good bike for most purposes, you must be looking in the wrong places.

edit - i see that you have pretty much countered this post with your later one.

Top Bottom