Worried about security when using new bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can yiu show us a bike lock that will resist an angle grinder classic?

In the London theft case I referred to above, I reckon the fact that the victim acquantance was in the shop for such a short time was probably irrelevant. I reckon the pros were watching the site. They will have their technique down to a T/timed, and would in any case be confident of releasing a bike well within the time it would take someone to march straight into a shop and smartly exit with a pair of socks.
It was the comparison between the professionals going equipped and the "scruffy herbets" with a pair of wire cutters. The wire cutters easily beat by something other than a cheap cable.

thanks for the clarification classic.

skipdiver's point still stands then.

I have no fear of the "scruffyherberts" with wire cutters.

It's the pros I want to avoid.

So far, so good - never had a bike nicked - despite growing up in a town where folk never never locked their bikes with so much as a piece of string.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Similar here Skol. When I lock it up outside a cafe for eg. I always put it into the highest gear possible (52/11 on mine). All but impossible to get moving in that gear and I'm guessing someone who nicks it probably doesn't know how to use the shifters
Well, you'll be able to catch them easily once their knees have exploded, but will the explosions be loud enough to alert you? I imagine it'll be a sort of damp squelchy pop.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg

Nah , much the same as others, but I have an mtb , a hybrid and a CF roadie , and use them for specific riding/rides , but the road bike does attract attention , mainly from fellow cyclists , but obv the scroat scumbags , so it is never left where I cant see it or it goes with me , with permission , as per photo

Last edited:

Mrklaw

Hmm - I should launch a range of vegan, gluten free, 'ageing gel' - looks like mud but contains essential mineral oils and liposomes - apply to your £2k pride and joy and it'll immediately look like a muddy old pile of bolts.

Coming soon - organic 'rust' powder made from acai berries.

Top Bottom