Worst Smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
It was a lot, most of it didn't need to move far, just slung as far as I could sling it.:tongue:
I am one of those who just gets on with a job.:smile:

I know i shouldn't but i have to ask, what about the neighbours?

doctornige

Walking into the radiation suite in the Pharmacology dept at Liverpool uni when someone had unplugged the 'deads freezer' that contained about a hundred semi-dissected rats, as many mice and probably ten or so rabbits. I was very, very nearly sick.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I know i shouldn't but i have to ask, what about the neighbours?
The neighbouring houses, at the time were converted to bedsits to let and as we knew most of the them on each side there wasn't a problem. The work had to be done and so it got done.
Besides, I used to help some of them convert Reliant Robins into motor bike trikes and they thought I was an engineering God who went to work in this strange thing called a suit!.:laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Defrosted freezer contents for me, oh and dead pigs in a skip in a scrapyard in Newark in the 70s...:huh:
WTF dead pigs were doing in a car scrapyard, i never guessed, but it took me by surprise when i peered over the lip of the skip trying to figure where the stench was coming from.

Ammonia gas used as industrial refrigeration in cold storage facilities...
7 tonnes of ammonia liquid in a sysyem that probably has a few miles of pipework. Leaks inevitably occur. Its invisible and hangs in the air. You smell nothing, one step further on and it grips your throat and feels like someone instantly clamped a hand over your face.
You get used to it to a degree, but its funny when you walk into a room with someone whos never experienced it before...the look of horror, the instant desire to turn away with face screwed up, eyes clamped tight.

Berties

Fast and careful!
my front room is pretty unpleasant at the moment,we are off across the sea tomorrow and are emptying the fridge so a diet of roasted ,veg cauli cheese homemade scotch eggs and just general fridge emptying grazing has caused more wind than Sky sports wind tunnel ,fowel smelling green smog worthy of a gb gold medal for fartingxx(

Octet

Veteran
Ammonia gas used as industrial refrigeration in cold storage facilities...
7 tonnes of ammonia liquid in a sysyem that probably has a few miles of pipework. Leaks inevitably occur. Its invisible and hangs in the air. You smell nothing, one step further on and it grips your throat and feels like someone instantly clamped a hand over your face.
You get used to it to a degree, but its funny when you walk into a room with someone whos never experienced it before...the look of horror, the instant desire to turn away with face screwed up, eyes clamped tight.

We had an ammonia gas leak at school from one of the science labs (no idea why there was a canister of ammonia) and it isn't so much the smell of it but the way it 'sticks' to your throat and nasal passages.
A very sharp and potentially deadly gas... not one to sniff for too long :ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
We had an ammonia gas leak at school from one of the science labs (no idea why there was a canister of ammonia) and it isn't so much the smell of it but the way it 'sticks' to your throat and nasal passages.
A very sharp and potentially deadly gas... not one to sniff for too long :ohmy:
Sticking to the throat and sharp is a very good explanation, you just end up making this rasping gagging sound in an attempt not to breathe in if it takes you by surprise. We used to get free milk to line the throat as some protective measure. In the end, you get somewhat used to it, instantly hold your breath and walking through small pockets of it.
Very dangerous stuff indeed. I was (as were many of the engineering crew) Fire Service trained in full breathing apparatus equipment and rescue . One unfortunate friend of mine at the time got trapped in a big leak. His eyeballs are scarred with irreparable eyesight problems, his lungs are damaged and face scarred a bit. First time i visited him in hospital, he looked like someone had taken a flamethrower to his face, all blackened with pink rivulets of flesh showing through the cracks...horrifying.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
The most distressing smell I've experienced is that of burning flesh.
I once did a job at Poole G.H. & each Thursday I had a raging headache.When I mentioned this unusual regularity to the senior engineer he pointed out the a/c condensing units we were installing were located directly adjacent to the exhaust outlet to the hospital incinerator & Thursday was the day on which amputations & the like were disposed of.:ohmy:

Octet

Veteran
Sticking to the throat and sharp is a very good explanation, you just end up making this rasping gagging sound in an attempt not to breathe in if it takes you by surprise. We used to get free milk to line the throat as some protective measure. In the end, you get somewhat used to it, instantly hold your breath and walking through small pockets of it.
Very dangerous stuff indeed. I was (as were many of the engineering crew) Fire Service trained in full breathing apparatus equipment and rescue . One unfortunate friend of mine at the time got trapped in a big leak. His eyeballs are scarred with irreparable eyesight problems, his lungs are damaged and face scarred a bit. First time i visited him in hospital, he looked like someone had taken a flamethrower to his face, all blackened with pink rivulets of flesh showing through the cracks...horrifying.

That is horrifying indeed...
It is a Class 1 hazardous material isn't it?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Wet salted hides not properly prepared before being shut in a shipping container and sent across the Atlantic. Or a container load of fresh garlic where the contents have become crushed!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dried fish in a box in the boot of our car on a sweltering 7 hour drive across northern Nigeria. When we ended our journey the boot was crawling with maggots.

Top Bottom