Worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
In my early teens I, so I thought, perfected the technique of coming to a stop with my kerbside pedal in the 5 o' clock position and planted on the kerb thus remaining in an upright position and leading to an elegant, nonchalant dismount. I tried it whilst out fishing at the Sherburn bacon factory pond.

Sadly failing, I rolled over the kerb, down the embankment and into the pond. It was a sub-zero January day and I was fully immersed and soaking wet. Cue laughter from my mates and the most unpleasant 10 mile ride home I've ever had the misfortune to pedal.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When I was about 15 I decided to go on a (for me) long bike ride as the weather was so lovely and sunny. I can't remember how long I was riding for but it must have been at least four hours

It was really nice and sunny so, on the ride, I decided to take my t shirt off to keep cool> Wonderful, bowling along in the sunshine for hours

Got home, chilled out. Then.....my back started to itch. The itching got worse and worse. Mum and Dad were out, I didn't know what to do. Finally I decided to jump in a cold shower to attempt to stop the itching. It helped somewhat, but then I was marooned in the shower. As soon as I got out, the terrible itching started again. So I stayed in the cold shower for at least an hour until Mum came home

She wondered what the hell was going on. I told her my back was unbelievably itchy and this was the only way to alleviate it. She told me to show her. Wow, all over my back were tiny blisters. I'd managed to sunburn my pasty body so badly, the skin just erupted in blisters

Mum applied some Witch Hazel or whatever. It kinda helped but my back was on fire. Over the next few days all the blisters popped, my skin peeled and I learned a lesson not to ride without a shirt on again

When I was five years old we were playing on our bikes at the country house/office my dad worked at. It was a Sunday afternoon and very quiet, in deepest Oxfordshire countryside. We were taking turns to ride down a steep little driveway onto the main entrance road. My turn came and I built up a fair lick of speed. As I joined the main drive a big, light blue Vauxhall Victor appeared alongside me with inches to spare.
I did't get hurt but I did realize that from now on I could never trust to luck and would be observant and expect the worst around every corner.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It definitely involves injury; my crash just over 7 weeks ago at Forest Beck near Clitheroe was the worst thing that has happened to me in many years of childhood and teenage cycling, 21 years of adult mountain biking and 9 years of older adult road riding. The sudden rasp of the tyres sliding sideways on wet greasy tarmac and the violence of the bang as I decked will never leave me. Then the gasping for breath as I was winded, getting control, sitting up and the slow realisation that my shoulder was no longer supported, my so-called buddies prodding me and taking the mickey, then sitting shivering with cold and shock in the cafe at Bolton by Bowland waiting for the cavalry to arrive with a warm coat and painkillers. I still have visions of the broken bone like something you see in a butcher's shop.

When I get back on the bike I'm going to have a very different attitude to riding with friends, in the wet and in very cold weather when ice is possible.

Motor cyclist ran into the back of me. Double somersault with a backward flip.
Ripped the carradice super c straps off the bags.
Bent the rack.
Lost 2 rear lights.
Damaged brakes handles.
Bike shop could not find anything wrong with frame but wouldn't guarantee it. So got a new frame cost the insurance company £1200. I know they sell for £850. Claimed they had to become a dealer to get the frame.
Fractured 2 toes across the joints. One still fractured 6 months latter. Hence arthritis.
Aggravated an old back injury. Cant carry a game bag with any weight in it.
Broke a tooth need to see there orthodontist waiting 4 and a half years to do so.
Said I had problems cycling on a A roads (where I was hit). Offered psychiatric help, said I wanted 4 pairs mirrors for all my bikes so I can see the next vehicle that's going to hit me!!
They insisted that I have to have a solicitor and they will pay all costs.
Scratched my helmet again.

It definitely involves injury; my crash just over 7 weeks ago at Forest Beck near Clitheroe was the worst thing that has happened to me in many years of childhood and teenage cycling, 21 years of adult mountain biking and 9 years of older adult road riding. The sudden rasp of the tyres sliding sideways on wet greasy tarmac and the violence of the bang as I decked will never leave me. Then the gasping for breath as I was winded, getting control, sitting up and the slow realisation that my shoulder was no longer supported, my so-called buddies prodding me and taking the mickey, then sitting shivering with cold and shock in the cafe at Bolton by Bowland waiting for the cavalry to arrive with a warm coat and painkillers. I still have visions of the broken bone like something you see in a butcher's shop.

When I get back on the bike I'm going to have a very different attitude to riding with friends, in the wet and in very cold weather when ice is possible.
Scwalbe Spikes get then on. Cycling along 11pm weather forecast said minimum 4c. Going down a hill, road looked a bit shiny. Stopped peddling, didn't touch the brakes, bike went from under me. Landed on shoulder painful for a week or so but nothing long term. Normally put spike tyres on when the temperature is supposed to be 3c and keep them on through out the winter and into spring. Changed to first forecast of 4c spikes on.

Top Bottom